Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting questions >

Batting questions

Batting questions

Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Connecting Threads has a sale on batting--30% off until October 31. Their prices are already so much cheaper for us Canadians. I don't like polyester-too fluffy for me,so can someone explain what "cotton batting with scrim binder" is? It says you can quilt up to 10" apart, whereas 100% cotton batting says you can quilt up to 4" apart. Is one better than the other?
Also wondering the pros and cons of pre-washing cotton batting.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM

I had to look this one up - you made me curious! Here is what I found:

Cotton with scrim binder is needle punched cotton batting with a thin polypropylene binder. The scrim binder
provides additional strength which enables the product to be quilted up to 8-10 inches apart, or used as the outside layer for craft projects. This batting is primarily for machine quilters.

I hope that helped. i've never heard of this before!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

the scrim makes the cotton fibers stay together so you can quilt further apart without the batting getting lumpy when you wash the quilt!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

batting with scrim is the same as warm & natural-
it is a batt that is held together with a fabric/fiber in the middle that the batting is punched through- making it a very stable batt-which can be quilted up to 10" apart- batts without scrim usually need to be quilted every 2"-4" apart because areas larger than that allows the batt to pull apart and ball up in the quilt- batts with scrim do not pull apart and ball up when laundered.
it is great for machine quilting- can be difficult to hand quilt.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I have ordered batting from Connecting Threads several times and I have always ordered the 80/20, but if you work with minimal quilting the one with scrim would probably work best for you.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Scrim creates a more stable batting (needlepunching through scrim means the batting is needlepunched through a fine layer of mesh), which is why you can quilt it up to 10 inches apart. Warm and Natural is an example of batting needlepunched through scrim. I personally do not like this batting because the drape is stiff compared to other choices. It machine quilts easily, but the scrim makes hand quilting harder than other choices.

I have looked at the Connecting Threads batting sale. A batting that I have used and like for both machine and hand quilting is the Hobbs 80/20. This is a nice batting if you like some loft.

My personal favorite is a 100% cotton batting without scrim (Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon), which is a very traditional batting. This is a flatter batting and the type used in antique quilts. If you have ever handled antique quilts, you may note that they are thin and soft. Because this type of batting is not needle-punched, much less needle-punched through scrim, it needs to be quilted closely (about 2 inches apart). I like it a lot for machine quilting but would never hand quilt it again.

The only type of cotton batting I would consider pre-washing would be one with scrim. You cannot pre-wash the MM Blue Ribbon, for example; it would be much too likely to fall apart.

A newer type of all-cotton batting is needle-punched (but not through scrim). Dream Request is an example of this. It creates a very even all-cotton batting that is easy to both hand and machine quilt. If I wanted to hand quilt an all-cotton batting, this is the type I would get.

A lot depends on the look you are going for. Poly battings don't shrink, so they are often used when a "modern" look is wanted. Higher loft battings provide the more modern "comforter" style effect. Lower loft cotton battings that are not pre-shrunk provide the traditional antique crinkled look.

I'm not sure why one would want to pre-shrink an all-cotton batting. It would be easier to use a low-loft poly, I think. In any case, if you want to pre-shrink a batting it is highly desirable to simply soak it, spin out the excess water, then dry in a dryer. A washing machine agitator will rip a non-needlepunched-through-scrim cotton battings to bits!