Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting questoin??

Question Batting questoin??

I am making a quick flannel baby blanket only 30" x 36" using up some of my scraps. I have some different size Soft n Crafty batting I want to use up as well, unfortunatly one piece won't fit the whole blanket being as its scrap batting from other blankets, I am going to quilt this blanket when it is completed.
    Can I use 2 pieces of batting put together if they are the same thing? It just isn't big enough to cover the whole blanket and I know the rule is kind of don't use to pieces of batting but I want to use these odd pieces up, am I crazy? Will this fall apart and bunch up on the insides of this blanket if I use 2 pieces of batting?
    Thanks
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

You most certainly can! They even sell a fusible tape that will join two pieces of batting to make a bigger piece. You can get it at Nancy's Notions or Clotilde online. Otherwise, you can just sew the two pieces together by machine or by hand with a zig-zag stitch. I do it all the time. No problems.
    SittingPretty

Oh amazing thanks! I soo wanted to finish this project and now I can thanks so much sittingpretty
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Blog Entries
    I've tried a few ways and my favorite is to use the blind hem stitch. I layer both pieces together, trim the edges straight, pin, and sew the blind stitch with the straight stitch on the right and zigzag stitch on the left. Open it up flat, rub my finger along the stitching to smooth it out. Once quilted, you'd never know it was pieced.

Yes, it holds up well.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I sew batting pieces together all of the time. If it is low loft I do it with a big zig zag on the machine. If it higher loft I whip stitch it by hand. Just make sure you butt it up against each other & not overlap & it'll be fine.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I cut strips from lightweight fusible interfacing to stick my batting pieces together. It seems to work just fine.

another "butt the edges together and zig-zag" group. My current project has about 20 pieces of batting zig-zagged together.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Yes - as all the others have mentioned above but I want to add ....

Whenever I make a flannel quilt I use plain white or off-white flannel as my "batting". Three layers of flannel is plenty warm (put two in if you want really warm) and NOTHING compares to the softness and drape of a flannel batted quilt!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Yes - as all the others have mentioned above but I want to add ....

Whenever I make a flannel quilt I use plain white or off-white flannel as my "batting". Three layers of flannel is plenty warm (put two in if you want really warm) and NOTHING compares to the softness and drape of a flannel batted quilt!
    I have done this several times. Especially great for a small childs quilt. I wash the flannel a couple of times and dry on high heat. Really soft feel to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast