Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: batting

I want to join two pieces of batting together. What would be the easiest way to do this?

Janie

http://www.appliquequiltdesigns.com

I have laid them next to each other and used a wide, long zig zag stitch to join them. I am sure there is a better way, but this has worked for me.

Lay one piece on top of the other and cut zig-zagging thtough both. Take out the scraps and whipstitch the two batts together.

i always whipstitch mine together

I lay two pieces beside each other, overlapped, and cut a straight line through, rip out the scraps lol, then whip stitch, but i've heard moonpi's way, or even cutting with a wavy line is better, doesnt leave such a definition of where the joined pieces are, but i prefer a straight line for me :) By overlapping, and then cutting, it creates two perfect edges to butt up against.

I have also done what Marcia has done by zigzagging the two together. I have never had a problem. There is no bulk.

Blog Entries
    I cut mine even butt them together put light weight iron on interfacing to hold them in place and zig zag together seems to work for me

Blog Entries
    I lay the pieces out on my cutting table, overlapping the edges.
    Then I cut a long wavy line through the overlapped area with a rotary cutter, and remove the extra pieces. I used to hand sew the pieces together :cry: , but one day I decided to try machine sewing. It worked. Quilting completely hid the sewn place in the batting. I use my sewing machine with a long faggoting stitch to sew them together. Believe me, it doesn't press it down enough to make a difference - you're going to quilt it anyway, so it won't show. I've done it this way for YEARS. :lol: :lol: