Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting

Blog Entries
    What brand of batting do you like? Polyseter or cotton or a blend?

Blog Entries
    I like Warm and Natural or Warm and White.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    I like Warm and Natural or Warm and White.
    Me too!

I like Hobb 80% cotton and 20% poly. I presoak it as I don't like my quilts to shrink at all when they are washed. May in Jersey

I'd always used Warm and Natural and just bought Koyoto bamboo blend batting. I was looking for something that would give the quilt a softer drape than the Warm and Natural. The Kyoto has a much softer feel than the Warm and Natural. I'll post again after I quilt on it. Would be interested to hear from others who have used it.

I like Hobbs Premium and Hobbs Heirloom and Hobbs Fusible - although the last batch of fusible doesn't seem to be fusing as firmly as the first couple of batches I bought. I like the low-loft, mostly cotton or all cotton types, so Warm & Natural is good for me, too. I quilt closely enough that it doesn't matter what the minimum quilting requirements are.

I make mostly vintage quilts or quilts that I want to look antique, so I never prewash them. I like them to shrink and puffy up the fabric as much as possible.

The non-fusible type, I open up and put into the dryer with a damp tea towel or two for five or ten minutes, so that the wrinkles will fall out. The fusible, I open up and lay it flat for as long as possible before I layer it.

For children's quilts, I love polyester, but it's a lot harder to quilt, so I don't use it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaos
    The Kyoto has a much softer feel than the Warm and Natural. I'll post again after I quilt on it. Would be interested to hear from others who have used it.
    I bought a couple of Kyoto batts and tried them in the last batch of quilts I basted, but I didn't take notes and I can't remember which ones I put the Kyoto batts in. They all went through the laundering just fine, so who knows?

I just bought a fusible version of bamboo batting - Fusi-boo, but I haven't tried it yet. The fusible batts are really super for the quilt tops that I buy that haven't been pressed properly during the piecing, or the ones that someone has washed - steam them into submission and then glue them onto a batt! :)

I really enjoy this topic. Everyone has different tastes for batting, and I have 5 or so different ones on hand to give the choice to people.
    Warm/Natural, Hobbs 80/20, Hobbs poly, Hobbs Tuscany, and now Legacy 80/20 and washable wool, oh yeah Legacy 100% cotton. 7 different kinds.
    I have a batting room.

Right now, I really like the Legacy by Pellon, 80/20

I use what ever I get on sale/ at a garage sale or thrift store

Don't forget the Quilter's Dream products! While I will quilt a customer's quilt when they bring W&W or W&N, I prefer the QD products. I have had to learn to refuse the Mountain Mist products. They are inconsistent in thickness, which leads to inconsistent thread tension. I can't have a quilt leave the studio if people won't be happy, and I don't think they'll be happy with lots of thread pokies!!

I've also had some issues with W&W and W&N when using dark backs. Sometimes the batting pokes through with the needle. While they will eventually sluff off, it looks horrible when returning to the customer. As I understand it, this is not unusual with those products. I have never had that problem with Quilter's Dream.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast