Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting >

batting

batting

Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Default batting

I do longarm quilting wondering what you longarm quilters use for batting??? I have used warm & natural for years when quilting on my domestic since you can quilt up to 12" apart. With the longarm can quilt closer than that I have been looking at quilters dream batting but there are so many to choose from I am confused. I really would like to know what batting works the best for longarms and are good battings
Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I finally found a LA that will buy wool batting! I don't mind paying extra at all for the batting I want, it was hard to find a LA that would buy it though. You'd think it was spun gold the way some almost fainted when I asked for wool or silk batting. If I'm going to pay for a good LA machine quilted quilt I want the best batting.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM

I've always used W&N on my LA, although my friend Peggi (Peckish on the board) swears by Quilter's Dream. I may try that the next time. I like the thinness of W&N. Thin but warm! I especially like it for t-shirt quilts. Doesn't add any real weight to the quilt.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM

thanks for all the info
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I mainly use only high loft poly batting. Warm without the weight. I would not quilt any quilt with any kind of batting less than 3-4". Doesn't matter what the manufacturer says. I have a strong belief all batting will eventually bunch up and ruin the quilt. I even tie comforters every 3-4". I quilt on a 9" throat machine.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Silk and wool are wonderful battings, and since you are paying for the batting, your LA-er should use whatever you request. The first LA-er I used would only use 100% cotton, but several of us finally got her to use the 80/20. I don't know what brand she used.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Silk and wool are wonderful battings, and since you are paying for the batting, your LA-er should use whatever you request.
That is what I was thinking too, but many won't buy it. If any LA uses that rough sandpapery batting, I'm out the door.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM

My LA quilter uses Hobbs 80/20. If a client wants something else, s/he must supply it.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I use Hobbs products. 80/20, Polydown, wool, and I splurged on a couple of packages of silk but haven't used it yet. I buy mostly by the roll but for the wool and silk I have prepackaged queen size. I really love the look of a double batted quilt. In those cases I use a layer of 80/20 topped with a layer of polydown. It really makes the quilting pop beautifully and can give a faux trapunto look.
I have also used bamboo, which has lovely drape and is delightful to work with but not very environmentally friendly in making the bamboo into batting. I have had clients bring me quilters dream cotton, which is nice and Fairfield blend, which I find on the low end of battings. It used to be a great batting but now not so much. Very fragile and uneven in loft.
Finally do not underestimate "unconventional" battings. I have used an old wool army blanket topped with poly down. Very warm but also stiff and very heavy. I had a client give me an old comforter to use on a t-shirt quilt and the end result was just fine.
Sometims for batting you want to take into consideration the end use of the quilt. Experiment with different battings and use what you like or gives the look you like best.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM

My LA quilter had enough Quilter's Dream to use on a project I had. I like the look and the recipient says that quilt is really warm!