Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 AM

Default Batting

Do you generally get your quilt batting from a quilt shop or from a place like JoAnne's where you can get a deal with a coupon or on sale? If you've done both what difference have you noticed?
Also, what kind have you used - 100% cotton, wool blends, poly/cotton? How do you remove creases & wrinkles?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:01 AM

I don't have room to store a whole roll of it, so I buy packaged batting. I use Hobb's 80/20 or Warm & Natural. I can get both brands at Joann's or online. Hobb's I can sometimes get a great deal at Michael's with a coupon. If I can't find at Michael's, I usually order from Connecting Threads and buy a few so I can get the free shipping. Usually even with a coupon, it's more expensive at Joann's. I do occasionally get it there in a pinch though. I've found the quality to be the same for the same brand no matter where I've purchased it.

Consider the quilting you want to do before you pick one. If you want to quilt further apart, Warm & Natural lets you quilt every 8-10" or so. Hobb's is every 3-4" I think. I prefer the 80/20 blend and it handles much like the Warm & Natural Cotton. I've never used the wool. I did use Quilter's Dream Orient once and loved it, but it's 2.5-3x as expensive, so I haven't bought it since.

I spritz it with water and put in the dryer on low for about 10 minutes. It helps with the wrinkles.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:21 AM

I buy packaged batting only when I have a 50% off coupon for Michaels, they carry Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 which I like, good for machine or hand quilting. I stocked up on it before going overseas, hopefully I won't run out as I doubt I could find batting here.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

I buy packaged batting often from Connecting Threads, they have frequent good sales and free shipping at $50. I love wool batting so take advantage when it's on sale. I generally buy Hobbs batts from them. I also buy large rolls of batting from BattMart. From them I buy Dream battings.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:30 AM

I get mine 80/20 at Jo Ann's with coupons or when Connecting Threads or Keepsake has a great sale. I shake the batting out of the bag and put it in the dryer with 5 wet wash clothes and lightly spritz the batting - on low for about 20 minutes. Rearrange it every 5 minutes and then hang it over a rod to let it dry completely and wrinkle out.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I prefer using Hobbs 80/20 batting so I bought a roll on eBay that was actually $10 over what the wholesale price is. Disappointed that JAF doesn't carry those really nice 15 yd rolls.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I buy rolls of batting from JoAnn's when it's on sale, but I also found a great deal on W&N king batts from Walmart(no longer available at that price), and I've purchased other batts on sale at quilt shops or quilt shows. If you're buying a name brand, the quality is the same regardless of where you purchase it. I've used poly, poly blends, all cotton, and have wool and silk that I haven't used yet. I put the cotton batts in the dryer with a small wet towel to get the wrinkles out.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 AM

I buy the big rolls from Joannes, Hancock, and Walmart. They all have been great. I only get the cotton batting. Hancock Fabrics is having a sale now for 30% off, and you can use your 20$ off entire purchase coupon too.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

My sister and I go halvsies on a box of Warm and Natural. We each get twenty yards and it holds us for several years. She gets and good deal on it, and it's delivered right to her door.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I get my batting from Marshall's Dry Goods in AR, on 30 yard rolls. My all time favorite is the 80/20, but I buy the thinnest poly batting too for donation quilts. It's very cheap.

MDG ships batting rolls! Two are the same price to ship as one.