Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 PM

I know this has probably been talked about before but I just am not sure what to do. Last Xmas I made a lap quilt for my daughter and used a med loft poly batting. Even after washing and tossing in dryer it is pretty flat and no longer puffy. She likes it because it is light wt. I am making a quilt for my DSL and he does not like it being heavy- i had made them a wedding quilt using warm and natural cotton and he thinks it is too heavy (he gets hot easily I guess). There is also a batting out there that is 80/20 (cotton/poly). My question is which would be better for a light wt but not flat quilt? I want it soft just not heavy so the warm/nat is out for this one. So is the 100% poly better or the 80/20? (she wants to back to be regular cotton, not flannel as he is not too fond of flannel - quilt will be light anyway. I thought about flannel for batting but it will be too flat and thin? what do you guys use for men that don't like/need the extra wt/warmth?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM

I have several quilts for my warm blooded boys with flannel and they are flat but they love them. On a heavier one for my oldest I used 2 layers of flannel to add warmth (and the flannel was inexpensive).
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Puffy will be warmer than not-so-puffy. Think of a comforter vs. a blanket.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned

do the flannel for the backing without the batting, for some of your family and for others just use hobbs thermore it is 100% poly and it is thin like interfacings and it does quilt up decently. I have used this for some q.o.v.'s and they love it as they dont sweat so bad. hope this helps you.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs heirloom 80/20 is a good choice, there are different 'lofts' available you can get a really thin one (i think it's the 'select' but not sure)but it was just perfect for my son who lives in Florida. I would not use flannel if he does not like the feel of flannel. and flannel does make them heavier than using the hobbs batting. i have had to deal with these problems myself, all 3 of the guys in my family; 2-son's & nephew moved to warm climates but they still love quilts...they just don't want them hot! the hobbs has been the best choice i have found.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 AM

Poly can be fluffier and lighter in weight. However, it doesn't breath so it is warmer. Body heat can't escape. Cotton is a natural fiber and is able to breath. It wicks moisture away to help keep you cool. It also keeps you warm in cooler weather. When I want to use a quilt determines which batting I will use.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM

Think about not using any batting at all for a lighter weight quilt.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Hobbs heirloom 80/20 is a good choice, there are different 'lofts' available you can get a really thin one (i think it's the 'select' but not sure)but it was just perfect for my son who lives in Florida. I would not use flannel if he does not like the feel of flannel. and flannel does make them heavier than using the hobbs batting. i have had to deal with these problems myself, all 3 of the guys in my family; 2-son's & nephew moved to warm climates but they still love quilts...they just don't want them hot! the hobbs has been the best choice i have found.
I think CK is meaning Quilters Dream Cotton which has several lofts: Request=thinnest, Select=most popular, and two others loftier than that. These are beautifully packaged, true to size, good quality battings made in Virginia.

Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, a loft similar to Quilters Dream Select, is extremely popular in Texas, where it is made (Waco), and also comes in Organic Cotton and some other variations. It was highly touted by Harriet Hargraves in the original machine quilting how-to book in the 1990s and is still a wonderful batting.

To me these are the most comfortable battings available and can be quilted up to 8" apart, so they are comfortable for the quilter as well.

Jan in VA
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM

I use Hobbs 80/20 most often & it quilts nicely. Not too puffy--not too thin. It is not hot or heavy as long as you don't use flannel or small quilting designs like stippling. I have a king size on my bed right now and it is easily washed & dried at home but it is a little thin for colder climates. I made an extra long twin (super single) size quilt using the same batting but flannel for the top & backing & it is so heavy that it has to be washed in a commercial machine.

You can also use an acrylic fleece for the batting. It will be light & fluffy and only minimal quilting or tying needed.

Some people just aren't quilt people. They think a fleece panel of their favorite football team makes the perfect quilt. Others think a wool army blanket is perfect. I don't want either one of those things near my skin when I'm trying to sleep.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Check the packages, and look for "high loft" and you will have a light and fluffy quilt :D:D:D