Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting from thrift stores. >

Batting from thrift stores.

Batting from thrift stores.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM

I am serious about my recycling and my quilting. Your very good idea is one that hasn't ever occurred to me and I appreciate you for sharing it.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM

I used to do that, back in the beginning. But the seam ripping got too discouraging and drawn out for me. Now I just buy rolls of poly batting on sale at Joanne's. But there was the odd time I didn't even bother with the seam ripping and just put the quilted mattress pad straight in my quilt... Those were very warm quilts!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM

The one thing I don't like about reusing mattress pads this way is trying to square off the rounded corners and end up with a useful rectangle size.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
The one thing I don't like about reusing mattress pads this way is trying to square off the rounded corners and end up with a useful rectangle size.
As long as the pad is larger than your top, you don't really have to trim it first. Like your batting, it can be oversize and then trim off the excess after quilting.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM

I made a comforter out of two sheets with a king mattress pad in the middle, I just cut off the part that held the pad to the mattress, sewed the sheets inside out leaving one side open, quick-turned them to right side out, put the pad inside, stitched up the opening and tack- stitched every six inches or so. Super warm comforter for a queen bed and only took a day to make.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 AM

I have made tied blankets for babies for years and these pads are my favorite to use in place of batting.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Since the batting is a little wider and longer than the actual quilt I can use the lines to baste accordingly. Even if the lines are a design, following closely one can do a linear pattern which is what I do. I have not conquered/master FMQ.
Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I understand now. Wondering though, how do you see the quilting lines of the batting when there is a top on it? Maybe I just need to get a pad and try it out myself .