Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!! >

Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!!

Batting too short, already on the rack, HELP!!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

You are quilting on a rack and quilting fairly densely, you don't even need to whip stitch it. Just cut another piece of batting and butt it up against your short piece. If the cut isn't exact you can overlap it a tiny bit. The excess in the overlap won't even be noticeable with your fairly dense swirls.

I have not shorted myself but have done this with two scrap pieces of batting and once I loaded W&N upside down and started getting pokies so I just cut it and flipped it over. You can't even tell!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:06 AM

I make lots of scrappy quilts and I have batted some of them entirely with scraps of batting. I used to carefully zig-zag all the pieces together but now if I know I'm going to be doing pretty dense quilting I don't bother to attach the pieces to each other at all. I just glue-baste them down to the backing, make sure I don't have gaps, trim anything that is overlapping and call it good. Never been able to tell which quilts are batted with scraps and which have whole batting when I'm done. The only evidence is that there's suddenly some space in my batting scrap bin!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
I don't know the "proper" solution, but I would whip stitch another piece of batting to it while it is on the frame then quilt over it and call it good. It's not uncommon to stitch two pieces of batting together to use in a quilt so a little hand stitching should fix it just fine.
My thoughts, too!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I make lots of scrappy quilts and I have batted some of them entirely with scraps of batting. I used to carefully zig-zag all the pieces together but now if I know I'm going to be doing pretty dense quilting I don't bother to attach the pieces to each other at all. I just glue-baste them down to the backing, make sure I don't have gaps, trim anything that is overlapping and call it good. Never been able to tell which quilts are batted with scraps and which have whole batting when I'm done. The only evidence is that there's suddenly some space in my batting scrap bin!
This is exactly what I do too. I use lots of left over pieces of batting for small quilts, overlap them, cut & then use glue to hold down, quilt. Works great!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 AM

Sounds like the solution to your problem won't be too painful! Let us see a picture of the quilt when you are done.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Whew! Been there done that. It's easy to do. I too, just lay the new batting down beside the old piece and let the quilting hold it together. No need to stitch battings.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM

I whip stitch batting together all the time and never have a problem. I know there is tape too. I have never used the tape because it is pricey and whip stitching is next to free with what little thread is used so that's why I go that way.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM

I have had that happen to me also. I took another piece of batting and used the iron on tape to bind them together. I even ironed while it was on the frame. The section was on the rollers. It worked fine. After finished quilting, I couldn't tell where they were connected. GoodLuck
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM

I think I'm just going to add another section with a few stitches so it doesn't shift while I'm quilting. I'm tempted to just quilt it, but I don't want to screw it up (again)! Hoping I can finish the quilting on it tonight, but we'll see. I'll definitely post pics when it's done. This is the one I'll be hand stitching the binding on for the first time as well, so I'm just going to take my time. Not too much time though. I have other quilts to get to! ;-)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
I don't know the "proper" solution, but I would whip stitch another piece of batting to it while it is on the frame then quilt over it and call it good. It's not uncommon to stitch two pieces of batting together to use in a quilt so a little hand stitching should fix it just fine.
This is a good solution. It doesn't have to be a small whip stitch, just a quick one, enough to hold the added piece in place til you get that area quilted. I have done this.

Also a quick basting spray would also work if you have some or the Elmers School Glue method. All would work.

Keep us updated on what you did to fix it!
peace