Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting used for baby quilts? >

batting used for baby quilts?

batting used for baby quilts?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Bamboo, soft and light its also anti bacterial .
Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 PM

I used a 80/20 cotton/poly and wanted it puffier, so I added a layer of lightweight poly on top of the first batt. Perfect! It didn't make the quilting any more difficult.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM

I always use the Quilter's Dream batting that is fire retardant for baby quilts. http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-angel.htm
Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM

I am using some Mountain Mist poly on a charity quilt right now and am liking it. It is easy to sandwich in the quilt, seems consistent with no thin spots, my Juki quilted right through it without a single broken thread. It is giving a nice puffy, lightweight result and was inexpensive. I think it is fine for a baby quilt too. The package does say max quilting spacing is 5". Just for reference I usually always use WArm & White cotton on my regular adult quilts.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM

The last few baby quilts that I have made I have been using the silk/bamboo batting. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter and hypoallergenic. The moms have said that they are super soft, fluff out when washed and just plain cuddly. For the baby size, I am really willing to pay the extra.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM

The last few baby quilts that I have made I have been using the silk/bamboo batting. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter and hypoallergenic. The moms have said that they are super soft, fluff out when washed and just plain cuddly. For the baby size, I am really willing to pay the extra.

If I can find silk/bamboo I'll definitely give that a try. It sounds great. I really like a soft, cuddly baby quilt.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 PM

OOPS!! I just learned something - how to wrap a quote, so I'll try again.

If I can find silk/bamboo I'll definitely give that a try. It sounds great. I really like a soft, cuddly baby quilt. And, I hope I have done this correctly!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM

I usually buy mine from either Quilter's Warehouse
https://www.quilterswarehouse.com/d-...ers-dream.aspx
or Seaside Quilting
http://stores.seasidequiltingsupplies.com/
or
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm a mom of two (and soon three) and do only quilt for babies or children.
After trying many different kinds of batting, I must say that if you don't mind being a bit more expensive and if there is no allergy known to wool, this is the best choice. More "fluffy" than 100% cotton, cool in summer and warm in winter, natural, stay soft and souple, etc. I made one for my daughter with wool when she was 3 years and 2 years + 50 wash later, it is still looking like new and so soft and cuddly.
Bamboo is more souple from the start and have more drape, but it doesn't get any softer with time.
Cotton/poly is a good alternative to wool; it`s cheaper and the result is quite the same.
I made only one from polyester (my first, following the suggestion of a LQS woman). Didn't like it at all. And as a mother, it`s true, you don't really like the idea of your kids sleeping under polyester every night.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by RainyBC View Post
Wool I believe is more expensive, but I love it. I was given a small piece to try and used scraps to make a baby quilt just to see how I would like it. The needle went through it like butter and I washed it just the way I would wash any other quilt/batting. It came out a little puffier - not too much though. It seem so much lighter than other batting as well. I'm really just still a beginner and wanted to try a little applique so this was my first attempt. I call the lollypop quilt. In the future I will use wool for baby quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484396[/ATTACH]
Love your quilt!