Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting vs quilt - relative weight questions >

Batting vs quilt - relative weight questions

Batting vs quilt - relative weight questions

Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 AM

Question Batting vs quilt - relative weight questions

How much of the weight of a quilt is the top plus the backing, as opposed to the batting? The quilt top must be at least 50-60% of the weight, all on its own, and more with a quilt which has lots of little pieces. Everyone worries about the batting weight but I wonder if the difference is more than a few ounces... I'm trying to choose a warm light batting with loft for a queen-size bed quilt. I'm thinking I might buys some bags of different types and weigh them...

Are there any rules of thumb to go by? Like a yard of cotton weighs 10 ounces, a yard of wool batting weight 5 ounces?

Thanks
Sue
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

You are absolutely correct that the top adds weight and the more piecing the heavier it is. Additionally not all quilting cottons weigh the same. I find most flannels feel heavier than regular cottons and every T-shirt quilt I have made has been very heavy so that lightweight fusible also adds weight and T-shirt knit is often heavier than woven cotton. There are no rules of thumb that I am aware of because there are too many variables. Some cottons weigh more than others. Smaller pieces mean more seam allowances and more thread. This will add weight. Is there applique? That can add to the weight as well, especially if the backing is not cut away from behind the applique. All the components of a quilt add to it's weight and there are different variables for all of them.

For a light weight warm batting with loft look to wool but wool batting for a queen size quilt will run you around $40 with no sale or coupons involved. A much less expensive option would be Hobbs Poly down or Quilters dream dreampuff batting.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 AM

I am always amazed at how much a finished quilt weights. I don't know of any rule of thumb that addresses your question either.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I find that W&N is heavier than Hobbs 80/20. Not sure if there is any official weight. Fabric differ in weight of a yard from over 4oz to over 6 oz. I leaned that by selling fabrics and shipping them by 1st class package.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs and Dream Wool are both wonderful lightweight, lofty battings. They wash up wonderful. I love working with both and love the end results.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM

I like to use poly battings as they are warm, give more definition to the quilting and are lightweight (less than cotton I think).....cotton battings are ok, but my family prefers the poly.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 PM

I've never even thought about this concerning my quilts, to be honest. Are you just curious or does it really matter because you have a quilt that MUST have these proportions for some reason? I usually use W&N or Dream cotton batting, as I like thinner but warm quilts, and poly batting makes me sweat.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
How much of the weight of a quilt is the top plus the backing, as opposed to the batting? The quilt top must be at least 50-60% of the weight, all on its own, and more with a quilt which has lots of little pieces. Everyone worries about the batting weight but I wonder if the difference is more than a few ounces... I'm trying to choose a warm light batting with loft for a queen-size bed quilt. I'm thinking I might buys some bags of different types and weigh them...

Are there any rules of thumb to go by? Like a yard of cotton weighs 10 ounces, a yard of wool batting weight 5 ounces?

Thanks
Sue
I can only say the last quilt I made (I posted the pic today in Pictures) has lots of pieces. I used the Siliconized Batting sold by Joanns. It is very light, and I believe it is because of that batting. By the way, I like the lighter weight. I always felt like my quilts came out so darn heavy so am extremely pleased with these results.
http://www.joann.com/pellon-siliconi...=false&start=1

Last edited by slbram17; 03-24-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I've never even thought about this concerning my quilts, to be honest. Are you just curious or does it really matter because you have a quilt that MUST have these proportions for some reason? I usually use W&N or Dream cotton batting, as I like thinner but warm quilts, and poly batting makes me sweat.
I'm curious because there is much conversation on the Board about which battings are light and which are heavy, and which are warm but light, etc., and I am wondering if it really makes that much difference in the overall weight of the quilt. I've gotten an estimate (see above post - thank you!!!) on average weight per yard of quilt fabric, and I think I will do some calculations on batting weight. We'll see when I finish this quilt what the top weighs. I have a postal package scale at work which might be accurate enough to rig something up...

I guess 'inquiring minds want to know' LOL !