Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Battle of Batting >

Battle of Batting

Battle of Batting

Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Since I use several different types of batting, I have all my rolls stored in a closet. I pin my backing onto my longarm, lay the roll of batting on the right side and roll the batting across the backing until I come to the end of it, then cut it off with scissors. Very easy and I've never had a problem with using the factory-cut edge on the top (I float the bottom of the batting in a batting sling made with an old sheet to keep it off the floor).
Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM

Jude, your batting does not have to be square though in a perfect world it certainly would be. It Just has to be large enough for your quilt. and can be a perfect circle as long as it is large enough to completely cover your quilt.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Judylee2 View Post
My batting is on the dead bar. it is folded in half and measures 98 wide when unfolded. I usually take the Measurement of my quilt and if it it below 90", I just unroll the batting up and over my longarm until I have the length needed. I use batting scissors and follow one of the bars to keep it straight. Rarely do I try to use a rotary cutter the trip batting because there is always a factory edge.
PM me if I can heelp further.
What aree batting scissors??
Old 02-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
What aree batting scissors??
yes, they are made so that the bottom blade doesn't constantly catch the bat as you cut. They are on my wish list.

I had to laugh, even though I basically Feline Fanatic,pulling the bat from the bolt below my table and up over the pick up roller and using the cutting table to cut off the bat. But have to say that I've learned to measure more than twice before cutting, the hard way!