Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Sheets >

Bed Sheets

Bed Sheets

Old 05-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Default Bed Sheets

I've been told that sheets are NOT good for quilts. However, sometimes I see posts where people are using them. I recall someone telling me it has to do with the thread count (maybe its too high and the sewing machine needle has trouble). So . . . what's the deal? Stein Mart has really cute sheets and they'd make a terrific quilt back.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM

I never have tried them, but have read on here that lots of people have. I guess you could take your chances and give them a try. Hope there are responses from those who have success.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM

I have wondered this same thing. I know there is a lot of requests for old sheets for chairty quilts. I will look forward to what the experts have to say.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM

I use sheets a lot. wash first to get sizing out I use 200-250 thread count and have no problem.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM

I have used sheets on two quilts so far. I machine quilted both quilts and they are doing well so far. I don't think they are recommended for hand quilting from what I have read.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:41 AM

I use sheets as much as I can..No piecing, fit to size and cheaper. I have never had a problem using them..of course I am not using the expensive ones with a high thread count..Those might be difficult to quilt thru..i hand quilt everything without a problem
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM

I've used plenty of sheets for backing and never had any problems. I have heard that they're hard to quilt if you hand quilt, but since I don't hand quilt, I don't worry about it. I've even used polar fleece for backing, didn't have any problems. I say that if you want to use sheets, go for it.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Buy the sheets. They machine quilt easily, wash and wear really well and are an inexpensive way to back your quilt saving you money to buy fabric for tops. Unless it is a really special quilt, I use sheets for backing all the time and have had excellent results. I even bring the backing to the front and top stitch it down for binding on many of my everyday quilts (don't tell the quilt police!). It's your quilt, try it out!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I think often the people who are saying 'Never use a sheet' are saying it because -back in the day- sheets were often polyester blends- people hand quilted- and they were a bugger to hand stitch through---We've come a long way Baby! now with more people machine quilting, with cotton sheets being easier to find, and with our (adventurous nature) it is becoming more acceptable....one thing is true though---the quilting cottons you purchase at the quilt shop is *generally* about a 60 thread count fabric---sheets are much *denser*---but if you buy 100% cotton, and prewash it- it softens up- and they really are not so difficult to stitch through- even by hand....if you want to use a sheet- then use a sheet---no one needs to know except you---if you find yourself surrounded by the ^quilt police^ who are preaching the sins of sheets, simply smile and keep your little secret to yourself- they will oooh & ahhh over your quilt without having any idea---and if they ask where you found such a wonderful backing....well...play it by ear- 'just got lucky & found a good deal' or tell them---JCPenney white sale ..often I just tell people- oh I shop on line a lot- who knows where that fabric came from---it's fabulous though isn't it?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM

I inherited a bunch of quilts (from a lady that quilted for YEARS).... All of hers are backed with sheets.. and they were all hand quilted. I am right now finishing one of her quilts that she started out hand quilting and I am finishing it the same way with hand quilting.. it is backed with a sheet and I am having no problems!! I plan on using sheets for my own! I know a lot who do!