Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bedding as Backings >

Bedding as Backings

Bedding as Backings

Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM

This is my first time to write in for help. But first I would like to thank all the people who have given me some great tips and updated my knowledge. I'm a born-again quilter. I started quilting 30 years ago, but had to stop because of time, kids, car pools, etc. Now I'm back but things have changed. I used to use flat sheets for my backings. I have no idea that the thread count was on those sheets. Now you can get flat sheets with thread counts from 200 to 1200. I hand quilt my quilts and would like to know if those thread counts make a difference when doing hand quilting.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Very high thread counts are not as easy to get through. The needle does not want to slide between the threads, but break through them instead. I'm not sure how much this matters in the long run - for a wall hanging, it shouldn't affect the life of the piece, but for something frequently washed, it may eventually wear out at a different rate.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm not a hand quilter, so I'm kind of going out on a limb here. I have some high-thread-count sheets and they seem to me to be "dense." I think, but am not sure, that they'd be harder to quilt than regular cotton fabric.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I think sheets are OK if you are machine quilting. I have heard they can be hard to hand quilt.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:55 PM

even when machine quilting, the higher the thread count, the more tightly it's woven. when the weave is very tight, the needle tends to puncture the fabric so it's breaking the fibre at that spot. the fabric is weakened right there. so if you stitch in a line, you're puncturing holes every place a needle goes through.
if you want to use bedding, look for a low thread count. usually, the less expensive sheets.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the information. I wondered if because the thread count was so high if the sheet would be too tightly woven together.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I only hand quilt, and use muslin ofor backing. It makes quilting easier. sheets make pulling the needle through harder.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I don't quilt by hand but it makes sense the denser the fabric the harder to sew, I use a variety of things to back my quilts, it would be interesting to find how the polar fleece is to hand quilt (I hope to learn one day)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM

I have hand quilted two Quilts using the 200 count Main Stay sheets from Walmart. I didn't have any problem and they don't get those annoying little balls on them.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM

I HATE those little balls!