Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Been ask to teach a block of month class

do any of you have ideas for or what to each as a block of the month class..

Do a sampler and there are many blocks out there to pick from . Also Eleasnor Burns has a couple of sampler quilt books and I have used them.

Blog Entries
    You could do all applique or all piecing... or mix it up. Applique, PP, Piecing, a new technique each month?
    What would the members of this group like to learn/participate in?

If it is for beginner quilters, start with a simple block for 4 or 9 patch & each month get a little harder or more detail in the blocks.

I have to go and get some info from the group.. From what I understand the teacher before was not to creative and not much for extra info..or tips.. they request they want a teacher that was more exciting...

bj
    I've participated in 2 block of the month "clubs" at our LQS. The first one was a themed set called Whirlwind Romance and the second was one that addressed a different skill each time...hst, flying geese, Y seams, applique, curved seams, paper piecing, etc. I didn't get to do but the first 2 months on the second club, so I still don't know how to do Y seams or curved seams. I thought it was a great idea!

Whatever blocks you choose remember some students may not know how to put borders on or bind or quilt. My sister took a class and they did not schedule a time for borders,quilting and binding. I had to teach her the rest.

You might build it into the class or have a followup class after all the blocks are completed.

congrats and good luck

Samplers are always a good choice. When I had the Featherweight Club. I had everyone do a sampler. We all got them finished and had a great time doing it. Especially on our Featherweights...

I just took a sampler class at our LQS. It was the Underground Railroad sampler quilt by Eleanor Burnes & Sue Bouchard, we had to buy the book as the only requirement to take the class. I have made quilts before and learned a lot of quick ways to piece blocks. There were first time quilters and quilters with some experience, we all learned something and came away with a nice quilt and good friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast