Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: been organizing fabrics

Blog Entries

been organizing fabrics

My ever-growing stash of fabrics (mostly due to all the fabs I have been buying for my purses/totes), was getting out of control-don't have a good area to store them. So, after clearing a top shelf in my closet above my hanging organizers, I am able to stick bolts upright, and in my sewing area, I have rolled my purse fabrics (well, till I ran out of empty bolts) on bolts, and keep them upright as well to take up less space, and I can readily see what I have. I love keeping it on bolts as opposed to folding because I don't get extra creases. I love looking at them from where I sew. I get the empty cardboard bolts from Joann's-they are happy to give them away, so I get about 8-10 each time I "pop" in
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

The cardboard from manufacturers is not acid free and over long periods can damage fabric. Just keep that in mind...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    The cardboard from manufacturers is not acid free and over long periods can damage fabric. Just keep that in mind...
    I heard that, but I only have a couple of yards of each one and as I use them down to less than a yard, they will come off and just be folded. I figure if the can sit in the shops for months on them (or longer), they should be ok. I don't plan to have them stored for a long time. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Wow awesome!

Oh so many beautiful fabrics!!!!

Blog Entries
    i love the eye candy
    Nancy in western NY

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    And you know this because? Somebody on the board actually emailed a manufacturer and asked and the answer was the cardboard was acid freee.

Looks like a fun closet to shop in!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    And you know this because? Somebody on the board actually emailed a manufacturer and asked and the answer was the cardboard was acid freee.
    Be great if this is true-I have in my closet several bolts that I have had there for a year or so, and full bolts I bought and haven't used much of yet. I'll take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I KNOW this because archival, acid free cardboard and paper is expensive. There's no way all manufacturers would go to that added expense on an item meant to be thrown away. As for someone receiving an e-mail saying otherwise... If one manufacturer claims this, I'm sure not all of them are acid free.
    Last edited by Candace; 03-08-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast