Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Before I yard sale it out.. craft felt question

I have a box of craft felt - both in squares and in yardage...
    Before I go and yard sale it out in the morning is there anything quilty that can be done with this stuff? I inherited it and really don't use craft felt so I just put it in a box to yard sale out...

What does one use felt for? If you use it for batting in table runners, can it be washed without getting all wadded up and whatnot?
    I read that someone uses it for potholder batting - should I save it to use it for that?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Is it craft felt or washable felt???
    Big difference :D:D

Blog Entries
    If it's craft felt, I wouldn't use it for anything except children's craft projects and temporary craft projects that will never be washed.

I use felt in place of batting for wall hangings. I also use it in potholders. Some of the pre-cut squares are not as washable as most of the yardage, as the fibers are what ever they can dye and press together.

I'm really not sure what the yardage is just that it's felt. Maybe I should just yard sale it out to be on the safe side... I would hate to spend time, fabric and energy in to something and then not have it wash up nicely. I would never forgive myself. There is quite a bit of yardage there though. I'm sure someone will be tickled to get it tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    I gave all my crAft felt to ddparris for her school kids to make some things in school. I think it is fantastic that someone is willing to help young kids learn how to sew. I figure they can make ladybug pin cushions or any other tyoe of pin cushions or what ever they wanted to do with it. I got it in a box of material at an auction sale and didn't pay a whole lot for it.

Blog Entries
    I gave mine to a nursing home along with some fabric and yarn I no longer wanted. They were so grateful because they use it for crafts they make

I have made several quilts out of acrylic felt and they have all washed up quite nicely. I haven't had any problems with it at all and my cat loves his felt quilt.

Why not try washing some of it and see how it does before selling in your yard sell, maybe it would work for you. :-D

i've use felt in my quilts for a long time now. No problems yet.
    I took a square and measured it, washed it, iron it and measured it again and it did not shrink. My grandkids have
    have at least 10 of them that they are still dragging around.
    Syl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast