Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Applique >

Beginner Applique

Beginner Applique

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Beginner Applique

I have done a tiny bit of applique. I'd like to start doing more, but I don't know where to start. Is there a good pattern/kit to start with? I've done a few samples, to get the idea, but I want to try an actual project.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 AM

I'm sure there are. I'm fairly new to it as well. I'm lucky because I have a teacher who we meet at her house every 2 wks and do a bee type thing. Right now we are doing a quilt with flowers on it and we're deciding on our next project. It all started from a two class in our LQS. Most of us have been taking civil war classes from her for a few years. Pick a design with few curves and then go more intrique as you go. I'm sure if you do a google search you can find something for beginners and on here there is a really big thread on applique. Are you doing hand our machine applique. I can do machine but like the quietness of hand while I watch TV. Good luck which ever way you go. Do you have any LQS around you?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM

You might want to look for a Pat Sloan pattern. Are you talking machine or hand applique?
She has both and the pieces are bigger and that, I think is easier for a beginner.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
You might want to look for a Pat Sloan pattern. Are you talking machine or hand applique?
She has both and the pieces are bigger and that, I think is easier for a beginner.
I'm looking for machine applique for now. I do want to try by hand sometime too. I'll check out Pat Sloan. Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
I'm looking for machine applique for now. I do want to try by hand sometime too. I'll check out Pat Sloan. Thanks!!
I taught myself machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book, which is very detailed with many photos. Here is a link to the current edition of her book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...8583760&sr=8-1
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Check out FatCatPatterns, loads of free applique patterns, she also gives some instructions/advice, I think. Don't forget to check out her blog, she's a hoot!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM

I suggest starting with a wall hanging or other small project, maybe a table runner pattern and see if you like it. And yes something with larger pieces is easier as a beginning. My Mom likes to make season/holiday themed projects for her front door. There are kits for these kinds of things on numerous websites.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I taught myself machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book, which is very detailed with many photos. Here is a link to the current edition of her book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...8583760&sr=8-1
I bought her book but didn't like it. I think that I didn't like it because the patterns were common place, but the techniques were fine.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 AM

Thank you MdmSew'n'Sew
for this site.....it is just the thing for someone trying to learn machine applique.