Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Beginner Applique

Blog Entries

Beginner Applique

I have done a tiny bit of applique. I'd like to start doing more, but I don't know where to start. Is there a good pattern/kit to start with? I've done a few samples, to get the idea, but I want to try an actual project.

Thanks.
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there are. I'm fairly new to it as well. I'm lucky because I have a teacher who we meet at her house every 2 wks and do a bee type thing. Right now we are doing a quilt with flowers on it and we're deciding on our next project. It all started from a two class in our LQS. Most of us have been taking civil war classes from her for a few years. Pick a design with few curves and then go more intrique as you go. I'm sure if you do a google search you can find something for beginners and on here there is a really big thread on applique. Are you doing hand our machine applique. I can do machine but like the quietness of hand while I watch TV. Good luck which ever way you go. Do you have any LQS around you?
    Judy

You might want to look for a Pat Sloan pattern. Are you talking machine or hand applique?
    She has both and the pieces are bigger and that, I think is easier for a beginner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
    You might want to look for a Pat Sloan pattern. Are you talking machine or hand applique?
    She has both and the pieces are bigger and that, I think is easier for a beginner.
    I'm looking for machine applique for now. I do want to try by hand sometime too. I'll check out Pat Sloan. Thanks!!
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
    I'm looking for machine applique for now. I do want to try by hand sometime too. I'll check out Pat Sloan. Thanks!!
    I taught myself machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book, which is very detailed with many photos. Here is a link to the current edition of her book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...8583760&sr=8-1

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Check out FatCatPatterns, loads of free applique patterns, she also gives some instructions/advice, I think. Don't forget to check out her blog, she's a hoot!
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I suggest starting with a wall hanging or other small project, maybe a table runner pattern and see if you like it. And yes something with larger pieces is easier as a beginning. My Mom likes to make season/holiday themed projects for her front door. There are kits for these kinds of things on numerous websites.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I taught myself machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book, which is very detailed with many photos. Here is a link to the current edition of her book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...8583760&sr=8-1
    I bought her book but didn't like it. I think that I didn't like it because the patterns were common place, but the techniques were fine.

Thank you MdmSew'n'Sew
    for this site.....it is just the thing for someone trying to learn machine applique.