Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Machines >

Beginner Machines

Beginner Machines

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner looking to replace a 12 year old Kenmore sewing machine I have ... my Kenmore has a lot of tension problems--thread is always breaking and I can't seem to adjust it to fix the problem. Plus it's just a basic machine and I'd rather have something a little more modern, maybe something a little more geared towards quilting.

Of course I only have a budget of about $250 and being a beginner I'm not sure I'd want to spend too much money on a machine until I've at least attained "intermediate" status! Having said that, I was considering two different machines:

SINGER 7469Q Confidence Quilter Model Sewing and Quilting Machine

and Brother CS6000i Sew Advance Sew Affordable 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine

Anyone have experience with either of these machines or could perhaps recommend something in my price range? I know that's not a lot of money to spend on a machine but I'm hoping I can find something decent and suited for someone at my level.

Thank you in advance!
Becki
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 PM

I have the Brother CS-6000 (model before the 6000i) and I've been using it for 6 years. I just yesterday got a Janome 6500 and I have this sinking feeling that maybe I should have just stuck with the Brother cuz I knew how to use it and I'm not sewing as nice right now LOL. It's got a small throat space but other then that it's really nice! I've never had any issues with it at all and has never been in the shop.

I hear really good things about the new Singer Featherweight also. There was a post here tonight where they got it from Joann's online and only spent $230 so you might want to check that out too. Seemed like a sturdier machine that does more...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 PM

I am in the market for a new machine also and was thinking of the Singer quilter.

so those of you with this machine tell us all about it.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 AM

I had the Singer Confidence and I just did not bond with it. I have a few of the Brother machines as backups and I enjoy them.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 AM

I have a Brother that I bought about 10 years ago for $99 at Walmart - when I got my Bernina the Brother became my backup machine and now it belongs to my younger son. My older son started sewing so I got him a Singer. Hands down I think the Brother is a better machine. Just seems more reliable and less persnickity.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 AM

I have four Singers. Two are antiques.I have the 301a which is the big sister to the featherweight (FW)

I would only recommend to you that you get a machine that also has the zigzag selections for when you move up to trying a little machine applique which is where I am right now.

My first machine is the Singer fashion mate. It was cheap and did zigzag. I love it still.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM

I have the Singer Confidence and a Brother SQ9000. I like them both, never had a problems with either. but I use my vintage machines more. I bought the Brother at Walmart for 199.00. It will FMQ but has small throat area.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 AM

For $250 I would go to my local dealer and see if they had a decent used machine. The two machines you listed would not be on my to buy list, for sure.... I'd rather have a $25-$50 vintage singer than a new one, any day.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Hi, thank you everyone for your replies. Those of you with the Brother, how much of a hindrance is the small throat? Also I just read that the Singer doesn't have a speed regulator, which may be a problem for me since I am a beginner and especially when quilting I'm going to want to go sloooow .....
Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
For $250 I would go to my local dealer and see if they had a decent used machine. The two machines you listed would not be on my to buy list, for sure.... I'd rather have a $25-$50 vintage singer than a new one, any day.
I'm not even sure we have a sewing machine dealer here in Hodunksville, but I might be able to drive to the "big city." Used I wouldn't even know what to look for ... what would you recommend that I might be able to buy used in that price range?