Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: beginner making Hawaiian quilt

beginner making Hawaiian quilt

I have a friend who has not quilted but wants to make a Hawaiian quilt. She has the pattern and fabric, and she is a good learner. I told her to practice on something small first, but what other advice should I give her?

I have never done a Hawaiian quilt and I have never tried applique'. I am afraid I am not going to be too helpful. She lives in Maryland and I am in Texas, so I can't hop over to help.

Any hints for her? Thanks.

Dina

She could practice on one of the 2-fabric applique quilts from Pacific Rim Quilt Company. Nancy Chong, the designer, is a Hawaiian quilt guru and these little designs are very similar to making a Hawaiian quilt. Even more appropriate would be one of these designs - http://prqc.com/small_quilt_patterns.htm They are wall quilt patterns using the same techniques as Hawaiian quilts.

Power Poster
    Is she going to do it needle turned applique by hand? That will be pretty difficult for a beginner but if she's determined, she can do it. I would suggest doing a needle turned pillow first. If she is going to do it with a fusible and machine applique, than that will be easier. Sometimes it's better for a beginner to jump into a difficult project because they are not intimidated. As long as it doesn't get her discouraged with the whole quilting thing and she gives up.

Nancy Chong also has a great DVD available for Hawaiian quilting.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

You could also take the Hawaiian applique class at the Quilting University on line. There is nothing like a class for a beginner.

Good ideas. Thanks!