Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner quilt >

Beginner quilt

Beginner quilt

Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM

My first quilt was a log cabin quilt, it was so much fun, I remember being so proud of it when I finished and couldn't wait to begin another one. I think its a great first quilt pattern to do. Happy Quilting
Old 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Log cabin will teach you all the basics you need to get a good start.

1/4" seams, rotary cutting,, fabric placement,, & staying organized are all important in this block.

Give it a try,, it' s a fun block to piece, & play with block placement after you finish piecing. You will be amazed at the combinations 1 block can create.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM

I am a handquilter too, most of the time, and to me that means, no machine touches a quilt from start to finish. I think the hours I put into a quilt are special and to gift one of them even more so. But machien quilting is great too. I can make more quilt tops for my charities. Hope you continue to share your progress with us.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM

A log cabin is often used as a beginner project. Even though I have been quilting for .... 40 years I still like to make them. The basic block has so many options for final design it is a popular quilt for beginners and experienced quilters.
A few pointers to make your first a success. Do starch the fabric. I can not stress this enough. Since it is a block that continues to build , accuracy is important as the block continues to get bigger as you add pieces. A 1/4 inch foot is one of the most valuable tools you can have for this block. Some log cabins work with strips as small as one inch. For your first , I think you would get bored with such small strips. Work with a larger strip.
Keep your blocks organized so when you pick up one its always orientated the same way as it goes through the machine.
I prefer the press each seam after completing a new strip set. It helps keep the project flat as you are working on it, plus its just fun to iron and admire the way the block is starting to look.
If you want the project to go quickly , make the center square ( the only real square in the whole project ) bigger! use a 3 inch or even 3 1/2 inch center.
Start with scraps, log cabin really lends itself to using alot of scraps. You also won;t feel so bad if you decide to move onto something else while working on it.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM

My first quilt was a logcabin ,quilt in a day by elanor burns strip method. very easy and I made a king size in a weekend.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 AM

There is such a variation you can make with log cabin blocks, no two are alike. It would be a good first project.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 AM

Yes, just be sure to keep everything square as you add your logs, or your finished blocks won't be square.
Four patch and nine patch blocks are also good beginner blocks,
probably more so than the log cabin.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Eleanor Burns' book Log Cabin in a Day is a must! Blocks use 2.5" strips, and make up 14" (finished) blocks. Highly recommended! :)
This way my first class I took. It was abt.25 yrs ago. I didn't bind it, but brought the back to the front. It's on my bed to this day. It started me on the road to many more projects.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 AM

Log cabin was my first quilt. I think there are easier ones to do as a beginner, but they aren't as pretty when you are done.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Eleanor Burns has a great "Quilt in a Day" book on Log Cabins.
I'd definitely recommend it for anyone!
Her books are great for beginners