Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner quilter having problems with free motion quilting and new darning foot >

Beginner quilter having problems with free motion quilting and new darning foot

Beginner quilter having problems with free motion quilting and new darning foot

Old 08-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Default Beginner quilter having problems with free motion quilting and new darning foot

Hi there. I've only been quilting a few months and am trying to master free motion machine quilting. The spring loaded foot that came with my machine is solid clear plastic with quite a small aperture which makes it very difficult to see the stitching so I bought a cheap metal open ring type foot from Amazon so I could see my stitches more clearly which arrived today. I've been having huge problems with my tension while using it; no problems when using the original foot and straight stitch foot.
Is it possible that a dodgy foot can affect tension?
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Annie
Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it is very possible a foot not made for your machine can cause all kinds of trouble. You don’t mention what kind of machine you have but I would look for a foot made for that machine. Sometimes saving a few bucks for a ( generic) can cost hundreds in repairs
Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. As CK mentioned, a generic foot can cause issues. Also, my machine had a special setting to use with the spring loaded foot, but you use the regular setting with a fixed foot.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Not only is it possible, it's probable. I agree with the others. Invest in a good foot made for your machine. Most brands have several different quilting/darning feet, I'm sure you'll find one that works for you.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

When FMQ , you don’t actually have to see the stitches where the needle is. I would put on the original foot where the tension is good and you want to be looking where you are going to stitch in ADVANCE of the foot.
It also is helpful if you Machinger or similar gloves to help move the quilt. It is also helpful if you can set your machine at a comfortable speed so you don’t have to worry about machine speed, just moving the quilt. You are never going to get the same evenness of stitch length that you get when the feed dogs are up for regular sewing. Practice makes perfect and good luck.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Welcome.

I usually have to loosen the upper tension for good stitches when I FMQ and lower the feed dogs, set stitch length at 0.
Wear gloves with at least rubber nubs on them. I buy 1.00 gardening gloves. As Tartan said look ahead of the foot and where you need to go next. It takes lots of practice.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I have used generic open toed FMQ feet on my dinky mechanical brother and on my 301 (slant) and they work fine. Maybe because they are simple machines? Also Leah Day shows how to modify one of those clear plastic feet with the spring so that they don't hop and she snips out a section of the plastic to make it open toe. Her instructions are on her website, free, leahday.com
Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 AM

Good advice from "Stitchnripper. I have several feet--all different in some way--perhaps you can do adjustment on the generic to raise or lower the foot. Is there a little grooved disk near the top of the foot? that you can spin to make the foot position diff? I like my foot to just 'graze' the top of the quilt..and adjustment has to be made according to batting thickness. Don't despair--there is a solution, and it might be in the original!
Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 AM

Just wanted to say Welcome to the board! Good luck with your FMQ it will get better the more you practice.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 AM

I just clipped mine too and then sort of "sanded" down the rough edges with an emory board.