Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Quilting Lessons >

Beginner Quilting Lessons

Beginner Quilting Lessons

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by wantabe quilter
Originally Posted by nativetexan
yep, try Senior Centers too. and ask at your library or quilt shops in your area.
Never thought about that. I am afraid if I go to a Senior Center I will want to adopt and grandma or grandpa. :D
-- Nothing wrong with doing that.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 AM

yep, try Senior Centers too. and ask at your library or quilt shops in your area.
Never thought about that. I am afraid if I go to a Senior Center I will want to adopt and grandma or grandpa. :D
What would be so bad about adopting a grandma or grandpa, or maybe one of each? I think that would be a great idea.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 AM

I know in Indiana we have County Extension Offices. Some of them have people that will help you learn. Also check with your local 4H Club. They may be able to put you in contact with someone.
Another place where I learned many years ago was our local High School. They had Night Classes and one of them was quilting.
Just a few more suggestions you might want to check out. Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 AM

I am from Baytown, Texas and if you know someone who give quilting lessons please let me know.
Call the Stretch 'n Sew in Clear Lake and I'll bet they could point you to a source for quilting lessons. Also, if there's an LDS stake center near you, go over to the genealogy library. They usually always have groups of quilters who work at the church.
1010 Birdsong St, Baytown - 281-428-2204, 281-420-2670

Meanwhile, check out Janet Wickell at about.com. She has a lot of good articles on things like color value, sewing an accurate 1/4" seam, selecting fabric, paper piecing, types of needles and threads, etc., as well as free patterns.
http://quilting.about.com/od/beginni..._Beginners.htm
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...ing_skills.htm
And check out the tutorials on this board. They are very good!

Another source to check: your local County Senior Center.
1715 Market St. Baytown, TX 77520. Phone: 281- 427-2145.
2407 Market Street, Baytown - (281) 420-5735

There's a quilting group that meets Wednesday nights at St. Marks Methodist on North Main. Someone there could probably tell you if there are quilting lessons available locally.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM

I took classes through the public schools. It was enrichment classes. Some of the community colleges have classes also. Eleanor Burns is on RFD TV and her classes are easy to follow. She also has a site "Quilt in Day" and she has tutorials. Also the Missouri
Quilt Company has tutorials (U-Tube) Fons and Porter on BYU usually every day at 11:a.m.. Check the store that you bought your sewing machine they usually have classes on how to use your machine and the insructor may know of a group or classes offered. Good Luck in your new advenure!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
And that is bad, why?

My best friends over the years have been way older than me. They are all gone now. You can learn so much from older people. LOL 'Older people' is now me.....
I have a lot of OLDER friends that are at my quilt group. They have many great ideas for quilts and other things too.