Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
beginning applique and hoping to art quilt >

beginning applique and hoping to art quilt

beginning applique and hoping to art quilt

Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Question beginning applique and hoping to art quilt

I would like to teach myself applique and start creating art quilts. I have found several very good YouTube tutorials on working with fusible web and have begun a test piece from a free applique pattern I found on quilterscache.com. I am looking for beginner applique patterns - online, free - and any beginners tutorials on creating my first art quilt.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM

If you google "whatever" color pages you will come up with lots of ideas for applique. For instance:

Flowers, you can copy, paste into word, or what doc program you may have, and enlarge or maker smaller.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flowers,+coloring+pages&client=firefox-a&hs=F0d&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PyWiUcetH4i49gSUloHIBg&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=911&bih=429

Also there are lots of tutorials out there. Just google what you need and you will come up with lots. here is just one of many.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/

Last edited by dakotamaid; 05-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 AM

This is what I did. Watch all videos you can (look on youtube, also) and soon you'll be doing great. I LOVE to applique!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 AM

I just searched for learning how to make an art quilt and came up with some interesting sites. I'm not sure if they're all free or not. You might start with this one http://www.quiltingdaily.com/topics/Art-Quilt.aspx
Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 AM

I've done a lot of machine raw edge applique. I used Wonder Under for years and years. Then one time I ran out and really needed to finish something and grabbed Heat n Bond lite. I'll never go back to WU! I don't get nearly as many edge frays with the HnB as I did with the WU.

You can start with other people's patterns for wall hangings and applique. There are thousands of patterns for wall hangings. I still do some wall hangings from patterns.

I design a lot of my own now too. I generally start with a size that I want to work within. Right now I'm designing two series, one that's 8.5 x 24 and one that the maximum width is 36 inches so it fits on my decorative hanging rod.

You can use several different stitches to get the look you want. I do a lot of straight stitching with invisible thread. I also use the blanket stitch with matching or contrasting thread depending on the look I want. I've used variegated thread with a straight stitch. A black blanket stitch can look very folk arty.

Art quilts are all about your own creative decisions.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

also, check out Quilting Arts Magazine- you can take a peek on line- it is brimming with resources, information and inspiration.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 PM
yel

check out quilting arts ....pokey bolton..does a show n pbs here ...i like them and get some good ideas
Old 05-26-2013, 05:29 PM

Mastering Machine Applique by Harriet Hargrave is an incredible resource. I took her "Mastering Invisible Machine Applique" class this past weekend. She covers several types of machine applique throughout the book.

Cheers, K
Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

I was told to look up coloring pages for kids. There are some adorable things out there. I've done snowmen, puppies, tulips, all kinds of things. There is a myriad of choices out there.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 PM

check out Beth Ferrier for applique by machine, she had a tute on HGTV that showed her method,she made it really simple