Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Belmer's Notion Quilt was pp......

  1. #1
    Super Member drivingsusan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S Oregon
    Posts
    1,010
    and I can not do pp :oops: but I would really like to do a wall hanging very similar....maybe applique :?
    I found one that has 4 sewing machines, but I do like the other notions also.
    I have spent the last couple of hours googling and I am all
    g :-o :-o gled out!
    If anyone has an idea, I would be eternally grateful :lol: :roll: :lol:
    Thank you,
    Susan
    Belmer's link
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36544-1.htm

  2. #2
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Well, first of all, paper piecing is not as intimidating as you may think. Have you tried it? It can be very confusing at first, but if you practice a bit (say, make 4 or 5 blocks with large pieces so you get the feel of it), you should begin to feel more comfortable. I just did 4 blocks paper pieced for a doll quilt, and I really was enjoying it by the time I got done. Go Google paper piecing tutorial, or check out the ones on this board, and try using their good tips and instructions. Don't give up... this is a fun skill to learn, and the results are just wonderful!!

  3. #3
    omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,060
    http://www.quilterscache.com/

    This is the site that she mentioned. It may be that she found each of the blocks and combined them to make the wall hanging. On this site, you will find tutorial for paper piecing, and if you are good to go on applique, paper piecing will be a breeze.
    Go down the page until you see a place that asks, where do you want to go today?
    Open the menu and click on Blocks galore ... you will be able to select a letter and find the blocks you are looking for quite easily

  4. #4
    Super Member drivingsusan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S Oregon
    Posts
    1,010
    Thank you both for your help :lol: I truly am not at all ready to try something new....am not good enough yet with the 'old' stuff I have just been doing!! :oops: :oops:

  5. #5
    omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,060
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Thank you both for your help :lol: I truly am not at all ready to try something new....am not good enough yet with the 'old' stuff I have just been doing!! :oops: :oops:
    We have all started the same place, my dear. You take all the time and be patient with yourself, and you will be surprising yourself, friends, and family

  6. #6
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,751
    Blog Entries
    3
    For applique, you can always look for clip art and enlarge/reduce it to the size you need for a pattern.

    Hope you get brave someday and try the paper piecing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it really is. I did only one test block prior to doing the quilt in my avatar. I was surprised myself! :)

  7. #7
    Super Member athenagwis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,704
    I have never pp the traditional way, I used this tutorial:

    http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

    And though it takes a little longer than traditional pp, you don't have to sew through paper and I found it to be extremely precise and SUPER easy to do. Try a few test blocks first, but I think you will love this alternative to pp. The biggest road block for me when thinking about traditional pp was making sure I had a big enough piece especially after the seam allowance, it's kind of hard to tell as you're sewing. But with this method, the paper is folded back as you sew, so it's very easy to tell if you piece is big enough if you just hold it up to a light (I just use the sunlight from my window).

    Cheers!
    Rachel

  8. #8
    Super Member belmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,875
    Yes.... I agree with Omak, I have been quilting for 3 years and I just told myself to be patient with the paper piecing meathod, I actually like it better than applique. Please dont give up. We are all here to help you and just take your time and practice a little and before you know it you will have it down perfect, and you will feel good about yourself. I know you can do it...This was my first PP and it had the tiniest pieces I thought I would go mad (see) one of my tires have a flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Thank you both for your help :lol: I truly am not at all ready to try something new....am not good enough yet with the 'old' stuff I have just been doing!! :oops: :oops:
    We have all started the same place, my dear. You take all the time and be patient with yourself, and you will be surprising yourself, friends, and family
    On the road again
    Name:  Attachment-11796.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  47.5 KB

  9. #9
    Super Member drivingsusan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S Oregon
    Posts
    1,010
    Thank you all for such great support! Thank you, too for believing that I CAN do it! That means a lot to me!
    Belmer, I really, really like your notions quilt!! I wanted to just jump in and make one with what I have here on hand....and then to find it was pp and I do not have any paper.....I am still so overwhelmed with 1/4" seams and following a 'regular' pattern....I get totally discombobulated even thinking about pp'ing!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Someday I will try, just a little further in the future!!
    Thank you again, everyone!
    Susan

  10. #10
    Super Member belmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,875
    Your welcome Susan. I used regular printing paper I just lowered my stitch very small on my machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Thank you all for such great support! Thank you, too for believing that I CAN do it! That means a lot to me!
    Belmer, I really, really like your notions quilt!! I wanted to just jump in and make one with what I have here on hand....and then to find it was pp and I do not have any paper.....I am still so overwhelmed with 1/4" seams and following a 'regular' pattern....I get totally discombobulated even thinking about pp'ing!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Someday I will try, just a little further in the future!!
    Thank you again, everyone!
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.