Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina 770QE >

bernina 770QE

bernina 770QE

Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 AM
anonymous

Default bernina 770QE

Does anybody have this machine or have an opinion about it? A dealer in my area used this machine in a hands-on project class (which I did not take) and now has them (5 of them) priced cheaper and includes the full warranty. Just asking as Santa may be interested.
Thanks

Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

There have several posts on QB on Bernina 700 and 800 series machines. If you type in your machine in the QB search box several should come up.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:19 PM

I have sewn on it, and if I could justify spending that much money on a machine I probably would have done it. It does perfect stitches, all kinds of auto functions and gadgets you would expect from a top model these days. I have a suspicion Bernina quality is a notch better than most if not all the domestic brands at the moment, due to the consistent devepment team and quality testing that is their own. Nothing is perfect, there will always be a certain amounts of pros and cons. I doubt you can by anything better though.

On the other hand, I've not grown dependent on auto threading, built in walking foot, needle up/down function, knee lift or the latest computer features. I fell for the charm and quality of an old cast iron straight stitcher, along side a basic zigzagger with a few extra stitch patterns they serve my purpose very well. I feel I can do anything I want with them and the old straight stitcher is a joy to work on, smoothest machine I have ever worked on. I have accessoried it a bit; a buttonholer and I newly ordered a walking foot. The only think I would benefit from on the new Bernina is the stich regulator, it seems totally idiot proof and perfect for both beginner and experienced quilters alike.

If you are very ambitious with your quilting and want the latest technology and features, I doubt you can do much better than the new 700 series. Are your old machine beginning to struggle?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I bought my Bernina 1530 being from an open box at a large quilt show. Full warranty you should be OK. I would test it out with a small sandwich quilt to see if you like it. Test drive it just like you would a car.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 PM

I have a Bernina 830 and love it. Wasn't always that way. Hook had to be changed and tension settings adjusted and adjusted again but once everything was fixed, I love it! You can tell the quality. I love so many features - knee lift, needle up down, walking foot, etc. Oddly enough, unlike what Mickey2 said, I like FMQ better without the stitch regulator. My recommendations are frequent cleaning of bobbin case and regularly oiling it. I do it with every bobbin fill. I also would recommend learning how to adjust the tension. There are many good YouTube videos on it. Bernina has many YouTube videos on multiple subjects. I would recommend you buy from a local dealer because they offer free classes and many of them and it is easier for servicing.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:43 PM

I'm a Bernina Gal, and my DH walked in the sewing room the other day and said "Your machine sounds quieter than that one they had on TV". No other brand sings to me like my Berninas and they just feel like quality. No they aren't cheap but neither are any of the premium brands. And Bernina is the only European brand still owned by the original family in Switzerland.

The 700-series has a new hook system that had a few wobbles at first but they seem to have it right now. Sit down and sew on it, and if you can get a good deal on it, you are lucky. I would also want to be comfortable with the dealer offering the deal as they will be providing your classes and service so make sure to check them out as well.

Last edited by Skyangel; 11-12-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:49 PM

I have a 770 and love it!! I had the 750 and traded it for the 770. So far there is nothing I don't love about it.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:08 PM

I got a 770 QE about a month ago and love everything about it (except for the small screen that I have to scroll through to choose stitches!)