Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 830 vs Longarm? >

Bernina 830 vs Longarm?

Bernina 830 vs Longarm?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Bernina 830 vs Longarm?

I am going to have the option in the near future to invest in a dream sewing machine. I have wanted a longarm for years and would love to one day be good enough to do longarm quilting as a small business. I have limited space for a table but could manage a 10' or 12' in my sewing room. I went into my LQS this week and was looking at their new machines. The new Bernina 830 looks like a fantastic machine with lots of throat space for quilting and the stitch regulator as well as an embroidery module. I have never had an embroidery machine but if I were to buy the Bernina I would opt for the machine with that module. The Bernina 830 runs about $11,000 and they do have an option to add a table and computerized quilt program that I could possibly add later. I already have a Bernina - but it is an older model machine, a Virtuosa 155 that I bought used 6 years ago. It is a good machine and runs like new but it has a small throat space and no stitch regulator. Sewing on my machine is great but I have a miserable time whenever I actually do any quilting and FMQ is nearly impossible on it, at least for me.

So here is the dilemma - since I can only buy one or the other - which would you choose? Top of the line Bernina with an embroidery module or a lower end longarm machine? Pros and cons from both sides appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris aka Crafty
Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Get the longarm. Someone posted on here that she has an 830 and has nothing but problems with it and I have heard that more than once. When I was looking into getting a longarm I was seriously considering the same Bernina set-up as you but my husband said 'get what you REALLY want then later on you won't be sorry with what you got' . He was right. I got the Handi Quilter Avante and couldn't be happier. Bernina is a great machine but it isn't a longarm. Good luck and congratulations.

Take your time and look at as many machines as you can, test-drive and ask a lot of questions. You may be able to get a new longarm for a lot less than that Bernina. My Avante was $9500. brand new with stitch regulator and stand alone bobbin winder.

Last edited by watson's mom; 09-28-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 PM

I have an OLD Bernina 830 (born in 1982). I use it exclusively for FMQ and love it. It cost me $400 on eBay a few years ago. Not computerized, I can work on it myself. No embroidery module, but that doesn't interest me, anyway. They don't make 'em like they used to, IMHO.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:40 AM

If you're serious about quilting for others, I would suggest the longarm.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 AM

Don't allow temptation to dim your view of your dream. Longarm gets my vote.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 AM

The long arm. I have a Bernina that is nearly 30 years old and still going strong. Love it for piecing, etc. and do some FMQ on it, but the long arm is more versitile for quilting and much easier on the body.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:49 AM

I would get a sit down longarm, especially if you are space limited. You will be able to quilt just as you have in the past but have the luxury of a larger throat... and get yourself an embroidery machine as a bonus

If you are able, go to a big quilt show and check out the machines. There are lots of sit downs to choose from... and soon Juki will also be releasing a sit down with a stitch regulator option as well. Having said that... I bought a Tin Lizzie sit down. It does not have a stitch regulator but I did not need it. I was already used to free motion quilting on my home machine. If you already do free motion quilting, you will not need the regulator. Spend that money on something else (like that embroidery machine or supplies or anything else you might want)

I liked the HQ sit down a lot and was going to buy that but chose the Lizzie instead for several reasons - the biggest being that I did not like the way the machine was orientated. when you need to turn the handwheel, you have to get up and go around to the back of the table... and then there was the table. You have to pay extra for the table overlay to fix their table height problem (the machine sits up a little higher than the table top so if you plan to do any ruler work you can't unless you buy the overlay) and then there's the table itself. The Lizzie table comes standard with a large extension on the back of the table, almost doubling your table. I will admit that I also added another table to the left of the machine to support the weight of large quilts. I have already quilted a king size with no space issues. I do love my Lizzie. The Lizzie was also cheaper. With my left over fundage, I bought a Juki 2000 which I absolutely love for piecing and small quilt projects. It stitches incredibly fast. I swear I have doubled my productivity thanks to that machine... and when I've needed to make thick projects it handles it like a pro. It doesn't fuss over super thick bulk like my Janome used to.

Do you have any big machine dealers near to you? Having local dealer support is nice. I opted to buy out of state but it's okay for me. I was able to save a lot of money that way.

I would avoid the Bernina 830... I also have a very close friend with one and it is a headache.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:58 AM

I've had both. I prefer the Bernina 830. Even though the learning curve there is high, it does fine. Plus you can monogram & do other embroidery with it as well. Can't do that on a long arm. I finally sold my long arm, it became a white elephant of sorts. the 830 won't take up as much room as a longarm machine. If you can take the mastery class with comes with the 830, do it, its well worth the time. I quilt on mine all the time, the embroidery unit can be programed to quilt as well & comes with many designs. Good luck, but for the $$ I'd get the 830.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 AM

Here's a different idea .... check sales listings for used long arms and used embroidery units!! Perhaps you can get both for the price of the Bernina and keep your old (but still good) Bernina. There are LOTS of good used long arms in the $4 - $6 thousand range, and a decent embroidery machine (even new) can be had for a few thousand.

But, if you have not yet tried a long arm, get to a show or a dealer and at least get your hands on one to make sure you like the transition from moving the fabric to moving the machine.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I would also vote for the long arm, but make sure that you have the room for it! Remember that you will need about 3 feet in front of the machine AND in back and along one side. I love mine, but was amazed at how much room it needs.