Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina advice? >

Bernina advice?

Bernina advice?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Hi! I don't have the new fancy Bernina 830 that recently came out. My old Bernina 830 I purchased 37 years ago, paid $550 for it back then and I still love it. It has sewn lots of quilts over the years, as well as clothes, motorcycle, snowmobile and boat seat covers. I've had it timed only twice during that time frame.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM

I purchased a Bernina Aurora 440QE just a couple of months ago. I love it! I was only half happy about it when I bought it because I dreaded having to learn to use it. It was so easy, and I was sewing on it as if it were an old friend within a couple of days. It also has an embroidery module which is cheaper to add on than purchasing the integrated embroidery unit. The problem is that you have to have a laptop computer sitting with you in order to use it. Since my husband is an engineer, we have old laptops to spare. (Really, it's silly, but that's how he is. Love him anyway.) After using my new machine for a while, I decided I'd like to have the embroidery unit. Rather than thinking of it as an embroidery unit, it can be used for quilting too.

When I bought mine, the store had a "demo" from a quilt shop, and I got $1,000 off the new price. Interestingly, the "new" machine I would have taken home was the demo in the store where I bought it. Hm. I would never know my "demo" was used, and I'm very happy with it. You might be able to find this kind of a deal if you shop around.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
MM

I'm also trying to decide which new B. to buy. Leaning towards the 440 because I mostly want to quilt, but am open to suggestions. Sounds like many of you who are quilting bought 630s/640/s or 730's. Would you all mind telling us why you chose the model that you have?

Thanks,
Margaret
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM

I have a Bernina 1080 and have had it for about 12 to 15 years. right now I have trouble witht he thingy that controls the stitch length. It doesn't work. The default settings are the only ones I have available to me. I have lusted after the Pfaff too. so you are one lucky lady to have both especially if they both work!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM

I have a Bernina 440QE. I think it is the cheapest with the BSR foot. The difference with the 440 is that you can't quilt using the zig-zag stitch. It also only has a 9mm width for it's design stitches. If you are not going to use the embroidery unit, it's great.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Look for demo models coming soon in your area. They used loads of them at all the classes and booths at the International Quilt Festival.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I have the equivalent of the 730 I actually bought it because it was the best "used" deal in the store at the time. After taking the classes and using it...it is the one I would buy if I had had a choice anyway. I like the way it functions and the way you use the computer with the machine. I love being able to use my choice of standard machine designs, USB stick, Artista card or a direct link to my computer for embroidery. I didn't think I would use the embroidery at all....but I found that I really do and I love it!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Do you have the new 820? I just traded up to the new 830. Went to a 820/830 club at my LQS last week, and we decided the only thing it can't do is open a bottle of wine. My dealer will make that suggestion. lol
I do have the new 820. I love it. I just went to the owners class on Monday. They are fantastic machines. :D (I had the embroidery module with my 730 and only used it once, so I decided I didn't need the 830.)
Old 10-21-2009, 03:03 PM

I HAVE A 440 QUILTERS EDITON, I JUST FINISHED MY EXTRA LARGE KING SIZE QUILT ON IT , I USED THE BSR, IT WAS FABULOUS,
Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

And so...did you post a pic of it Campbell? We wanna see!!!