Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Artista 200 - Buy it? >

Bernina Artista 200 - Buy it?

Bernina Artista 200 - Buy it?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Default Bernina Artista 200 - Buy it?

I am considering buying a Bernina Artista 200 - not upgraded to a 730 - from a friend of mine. My question is this, can I still purchase up to date embroidery patterns for it? I haven't used it yet because I just picked it up, but from everything I've read it is a great little machine. I know it has a usb port but I'm wondering if I have to upgrade the software and is that even possible?

I've tried to search these questions but haven't had much luck. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me! I did read through the manual so I have a general knowledge of it.

Thanks! Kelly
Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Can a Bernina Dealer answer your question?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 AM

Can you ask your friend for a tutorial on how to use it?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM

I believe that this machine uses cards to transfer designs from the computer to the sewing machine. So you need a box that writes to the card. So you need to ask if the box comes with it, and if the box will work with your computer. If not, ask what box is on the market that you can buy that will work with this machine and with your computer.

I have the 180 which is a prior version of the 200. When I got a new computer, I could not use my box because you needed to go online to get a key to activate the box...but the company that made the box no longer exists so I can't use the box with my new computer. As a result, I had to keep my old computer to use with my box. I might have been able to buy a new box from a different mfg, but didn't want to spend the money.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM

My friend got it as a gift from her mother and only used it once. She has NO idea what to do with it lol. I did call our local dealer and she basically said she can tell me whats on it software wise, but other than that I didn't really get any info from her. I think she can get me an upgrade for the software if it's needed. She will clean it and make sure the embroidery unit works well. Obviously I have to pay for this service. I will ask her about the box. It has a stand alone cd drive. At least I think that's what it is. It came with 3 discs. I will have to check again tonight. I feel lost!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:18 PM

A 200 will use the Cards, or you can put designs onto a thumb drive although I believe it needs to be a Bernina one and lucky you - you got the CD drive which I believe was extra so you can also import designs that way. So basically you have the best of both worlds. In regards to the USB I think you can use some other ones, the issue is that most machines can only take up to a 2G stick which you really can't find anymore and I think there was only 1 brand that could be used due to some of the software that comes on the sticks. However more than likely there will also be a Bernina USB with it.

I have a friend who just bought one and as soon as she gets some time we are going to work together. I have a 730 and they are very similar. P.S. If your local dealer turns out not to be very forthcoming with you do you have another not too far away? If so it might be worth going a little further and cultivating that.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM

You didn't say what the price was but if it isn't too high I would definitely do it. It is a nice machine.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I would call the toll free number of Bernina USA. They take a little while to get back to you but they should be able to answer your question.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Thanks to all who've answered! I'm going to look into a newer version of the cd drive and go from there. She's asking $1800 but since I have to buy the walking foot and quarter inch foot I think she will come down. Thanks again everyone!