Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Auto Threader >

Bernina Auto Threader

Bernina Auto Threader

Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 AM

Default Bernina Auto Threader

My auto threader seems to go out of whack easily, and I can't get it lined back up. Took it to a repair shop, and she told me that there is some kind of pin? that holds it place. She wasn't trained by Bernina and can't get parts, apparently, until she is, or some such thing. Any ideas how to get that thing lined back up?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 AM

I wish I knew as I have the same problem. Frustrating isn't it.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM

Mine works occasionally. I have started just threading it myself. Didn't know anything could be done about it.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a Bernina ... though I'll give you some hints I picked up thru my frustrations when I got my first Janome with one! Once I "learned" these things, I came to love love love my auto threader and now have a 2nd machine with it ... and can't imagine sewing without one now!

First of all ... your needle needs to be in the default position. I always move my needle to sew with my 1/4" foot. So if I try to use the auto threader when the needle has been moved, it means the eye of the needle is not in alignment with the little hook that goes into it to pull the thread thru.

Secondly ... if you do that too many times, then the little hook (so small you have a hard time seeing it!) can get bent ... and won't line up, even if you have the needle in its default position. You'll need to take it back to a trained repair person to fix it.

Third ... When I first got mine and couldn't get it to work ... I checked out youtube, and discovered I was missing a step!! OOPS!! (thankfully I did that before I went back and embarrassed myself at the dealer!!)

Fourth ... The auto threader may or may not work if you are sewing with heavier threads. Remember to change to a needle with a larger hole for the thread to go thru, and the auto-threader may be more likely to work for you.

And as mentioned ... remember, these are things I have learned with my Janome auto-threader ... hope it helps you with your Bernina!

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-17-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 AM

QuiltE covered it nicely even for the Bernina. I have the Bernina 440 and just one more thing is to let the threader go back at a fast threading motion. Almost letting it snap back to pull the thread through. As far as the pin I would call the company or take it to a dealer who sells Bernina's. Certainly there has to be someone close that has knowledge on the machines.

Terry, I just noticed you are from Rockaway Beach-I'm in Sherwood by Portland, and use Common Thread they are Bernina dealers - that's where I bought mine from. They give you excellent support and are wonderful people. Also our quilting group (13 of us from the board) will be in Rockaway Beach for the weekend in May. PM me would love for you to come join the group for the day if you want!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 AM

What is the "default position"?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
What is the "default position"?
For the computerized machines, when you turn your machine on it is set so your needle is in the same position every time, as well as your stitch length. In my case, the default would give me a wider than 1/4" seam when using the 1/4" foot ... and so I move the needle slightly to the right to get the right width.

For my machine, I have altered the default to be the settings I use most of the time.

So to clarify ... when I mention about the needle needing to be in the default position ... that would be the factory-set default, not what I have changed it to.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM

I thread my needle by hand now also... I did have problems -- then about 6 weeks ago I attemped to use as usual and the "Plastic" part broke off -- so I just took the rest off the machine and now just have a stump hanging where the threader use to be. No big deal - just looks like something is missing...guess it is.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Originally Posted by An Arm Long View Post
Mine works occasionally. I have started just threading it myself. Didn't know anything could be done about it.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

On my Bernina 440 with the threader, my dealer stressed to always press the needle up/down button before using it. The needle needs to be in the highest position to work properly without damaging the threader.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wine Woman View Post
QuiltE covered it nicely even for the Bernina. I have the Bernina 440 and just one more thing is to let the threader go back at a fast threading motion. Almost letting it snap back to pull the thread through. As far as the pin I would call the company or take it to a dealer who sells Bernina's. Certainly there has to be someone close that has knowledge on the machines.

Terry, I just noticed you are from Rockaway Beach-I'm in Sherwood by Portland, and use Common Thread they are Bernina dealers - that's where I bought mine from. They give you excellent support and are wonderful people. Also our quilting group (13 of us from the board) will be in Rockaway Beach for the weekend in May. PM me would love for you to come join the group for the day if you want!
I have an artista 170, bought it 15 years ago?? I'm sure the dealer is no longer in business.

I belong to the Tillamoo Quilt Guide, based out of the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center. We are hosting the quilting event Memorial weekend. So glad you are coming !!!