Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR troubles >

Bernina BSR troubles

Bernina BSR troubles

Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Bernina BSR troubles

I have a Bernina 430 with the BSR foot, and I can't seem to get satisfactory results using it. As soon as I start moving the fabric, the machine goes off at a tremendous speed, regardless of the speed at which I'm moving the fabric, resulting in extremely small and generally pretty uneven and unattractive-looking stitches. This seems to happen no matter whether I'm in mode 1 or 2. I'm to the point where I've given up on it and gone back to doing free motion quilting with an old-fashioned foot, and I get pretty nice results that way--but I'm frustrated because the BSR was very expensive and it really ought to work better than this. Has anyone else had this particular problem? Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help, I admit I don't own a BSR. But the first thing that comes to mind is are you able to adjust the speed of the machine itself?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM

I have a BSR and am still learning how to use it but it is practice!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Did you get it from a dealer? I'd take it there and ask for a lesson.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM

I've has some problems with mine also...wiping the sensor off so it's clean has taken care of it.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I set my machine at a medium speed and use my foot control for stopping and starting. Old habits die hard and I couldn't get used to it without using my foot pedal to control the machine. When the BSR is on, there should be a little running man on the computer screen and the red light should be glowing under the foot next to the fabric. If the red light is not on, the BSR is not on. If you are still having trouble, go to your dealer for a lesson on how to use it. I take full advantage of my Bernina club offered at my Bernina dealer to learn how to fully use my machine. I LOVE my BSR on my Bernina 440.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Yes, I've tried adjusting the speed of the machine. The BSR doesn't seem to care about that. It's definitely switched on and running. Unfortunately, the dealer I bought the machine from went out of business about two months later--I don't know if a different dealer would still help me. I'll try cleaning the sensor and see if that helps. Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM

What stitch length did you set the machine for? The BSR should speed up or slow down depending on how you move the fabric, but I think you need to specify a stitch length so it knows how big to make the stitches. When I use mine - and granted it's not that often - I also adjust the machine speed slider to low or medium speed.

It would be worth asking another dealer for help - while they may not have sold you your machine, they can sell you feet and other Bernina doodads, with the hope that a happy customer will come back when you're ready to upgrade your machine.

Good luck and happy new year!

Janet
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM

I tend to leave it on the default setting for stitch length, which is 2.0 mm. The stitches it takes are definitely way shorter than that! Thanks, I might try taking it to the closest dealer--I have bought doodads and feet and fabric from them before, so hopefully they'll take pity on me if the sensor cleaning doesn't work out.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Try the machine speed in the middle, and in BSR 2, that is when it only goes when you move the fabric. I feel I have more control in that mode. Before you do anything else, take out your manual and re read the section on BSR, after reading these posts, with all the advice, it may make more sense to you. Don't give up on it, the BSR is a great tool for equal stitches, once you figure things out.