Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Bernina Embroidery - Bobbin Thread

  1. #11
    Super Member Quilter2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Our Little Green Acres in NorCal
    Posts
    1,302
    I have a Bernina 730E. I tried the bobbin weight thread and found on some of the denser designs the white shows up on top so when I do dense designs I use a shade of the same color on the bottom as I am working with on the top (red for reds, greens for greens, etc) I also adjusted my bobbin tension screw just a tad bit. The last batch of embroidery I did (for the grandkids) I used regular sewing thread in the bobbin and it seemed to work fine. The 730E bobbin is slightly thinner than regular Bernina bobbins so I don't know if the pre-wound will fit?

  2. #12
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    Alright so my friend went out and got the Embroidery kit for her 440QE. I got it all setup for her and we did a few of the included patterns in black to test it out.

    She plans on using this to embroider images, etc on the quilt for her granddaugthter. My question is this...Should the bobbin thread be the same as the color your embroidering? We had white bobbin thread in, and of course you could see it in the finsihed product.

    I was expecting a nice large manual to come with it, instead there is a CD with the beginning basic images, etc.

    Any tips would be great I can't get into the class for this until 2 weeks. So any help before then is greatly appriciated.

    You didn't mention what stabilizer you were using. If none, that's your issue. And 60wt. bobbin thread can be purchased in any color. Mettler makes it in any color under the rainbow. Poly bobbin thread is mainly in black or white.

    Some of the Bernina models, like mine, have a special way to thread the bobbin for embroidery. If you didn't have it threaded properly, that's another reason the tension would be off.

  3. #13
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter2B
    I have a Bernina 730E. I tried the bobbin weight thread and found on some of the denser designs the white shows up on top so when I do dense designs I use a shade of the same color on the bottom as I am working with on the top (red for reds, greens for greens, etc) I also adjusted my bobbin tension screw just a tad bit. The last batch of embroidery I did (for the grandkids) I used regular sewing thread in the bobbin and it seemed to work fine. The 730E bobbin is slightly thinner than regular Bernina bobbins so I don't know if the pre-wound will fit?
    Be very careful, I'm not sure the prewound bobbins work in all Bernina models. You don't want to ruin your machine:< If you're seeing bobbin thread in your design, and you've got the correct wt. bobbin thread, you usually need more stabilizer. Floriani(spelling?) is great because it tells you what stitch density is suggested for each stabilizer.

  4. #14
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,035
    If it is a dark color, you can use black. If it is FSL (free standing lace), use the same thread as the top. Otherwise on light colors, I use white.

    If hers has a pig tail bobbin for embroidering and decorative stitches, make sure she uses it. Yes, it will make a difference. My 640 has a pig tail but I don't know if the 440 does.

  5. #15
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,637
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    If it is a dark color, you can use black. If it is FSL (free standing lace), use the same thread as the top. Otherwise on light colors, I use white.

    If hers has a pig tail bobbin for embroidering and decorative stitches, make sure she uses it. Yes, it will make a difference. My 640 has a pig tail but I don't know if the 440 does.
    Yes, the 440 has what my teacher called a "finger" the thread must be threaded through that. My new 730 has a little curly spring thing, that does indeed look like a piggies tail. It also has a separate bobbin carrier for embroidery and sewing.

  6. #16
    Senior Member miholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by miholmes
    Alright so my friend went out and got the Embroidery kit for her 440QE. I got it all setup for her and we did a few of the included patterns in black to test it out.

    She plans on using this to embroider images, etc on the quilt for her granddaugthter. My question is this...Should the bobbin thread be the same as the color your embroidering? We had white bobbin thread in, and of course you could see it in the finsihed product.

    I was expecting a nice large manual to come with it, instead there is a CD with the beginning basic images, etc.

    Any tips would be great I can't get into the class for this until 2 weeks. So any help before then is greatly appriciated.

    You didn't mention what stabilizer you were using. If none, that's your issue. And 60wt. bobbin thread can be purchased in any color. Mettler makes it in any color under the rainbow. Poly bobbin thread is mainly in black or white.

    Some of the Bernina models, like mine, have a special way to thread the bobbin for embroidery. If you didn't have it threaded properly, that's another reason the tension would be off.
    I have an Aquatear stablizer....not sure the weight I will need to look, it's whatever the sales person sold us...:P


    But I will play with the tension tonight and see what we get, I adjusted it like the software told me...I believe 4.5 if memory serves me correct. But like I said will attempt it again this evening.

    AND I don't think we put the bobbin thread through the eye...so that could also be my issue. I want a Bernina step by step picture book for this. :)

    I'll let you know how it goes.

  7. #17
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,637
    Try putting the thread through the finger on the bobbin case first, and then if that doesn't work, try the upper tension. On my 440 I sometimes has to turn it down to almost 2. Good Luck.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Nursesews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    614
    I always use 60wt. bobbin thread except when you will be able to see the back of the design. Hope this helps :D

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,022
    My Bernina 180E uses 100%cotton embroidery thread, 60wt. It won't use poly thread, not sure if yours will be that picky.
    Embroidery bobbin thread is different than sewing bobbin thread.
    You can buy black bobbin thread to use on black fabric, otherwise white bobbin thread is normally used. Also be sure to use embroidery needles, I use Organ needles. Be sure to use a good stabilizer. A good quality fabric is a must with embroidery. A poor quality fabric will pucker, not lay flat and the fabric will become distorted. Have fun. :thumbup:

  10. #20
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,728
    I've never used Aquatear, but you may need several layers of it hooped, depending on the the stitch count. I've had some designs that are less dense that only need one or two layers of stabilizer and then there are others that need 3 or more if super dense.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.