Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Embroidery machine Deco 330 >

Bernina Embroidery machine Deco 330

Bernina Embroidery machine Deco 330

Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 AM

Default Bernina Embroidery machine Deco 330

Why do my thread on my machine always snap. I am just busy with a project then the thread snaps . Is it the tension on the machine. On what should the tension be??
Old 03-31-2014, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

When the thread snaps, stop a minute and see if you can figure out why. Look to see if the thread has come off the spool and puddled around the spindle, or is getting caught somewhere else. See if it has jumped out of the uptake lever. If the thread is always breaking, get out your manual and double check how you are threading it. I've had several embroidery machines from different manufacturers and have always just used the 'normal' sewing tension, but I've heard that Berninas can be a bit fussier.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 AM

Good advice from PaperPrincess. To this I'll add, rethread your machine, put in a new needle, try a needle with a larger hole, make sure your thread is coming off the spool easily, and if all else fails, put your thread spool in a coffee mug. Sometimes thread just gets too hot being fed through the many places it has to go. If you can put it in a mug, and then thread the rest of the way, it might not get as hot and not break as easily. Also make sure your thread isn't "shop worn" old thread that breaks easily.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM

I have a Viking and never have to adjust my tension. On the rare occassion that I have an issue with thread breaking I rethread it, if that doesn't work I try putting it on the table behind the machine or in a cup behind the table so that the thread comes off the top of the spool, or I change the needle, the wrong size needle will do that in a heart beat. Like to use serger thread and embroider FSL, I had to use double WSS and a size 90 sharp needle and slow down the machine. Normally when I try these different things one of them will work. I've had thread to do that when it worked the last time. I use all kinds of thread so sometimes you just have to give it the right conditions to work right. I think a big mistake is to immediately start messing with the tension. Also, make sure your pressure foot is up when threading the machine and the needle, having it down will really mess it up. Good luck. if you have to mess with the tension, all machines and conditions will be different depending on the situation so its hard to give a certain number to set it too. Make sure you write down what the orginal setting is before you start. Also, rethread the bobbin and make sure its clean