Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina flat felling foot for machine binding? >

Bernina flat felling foot for machine binding?

Bernina flat felling foot for machine binding?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Default Bernina flat felling foot for machine binding?

I found a blog describing using a Bernina 8mm flat felling foot #70 for machine quilt binding.

http://www.awomanaday.com/2013/01/17...nding-edition/

Has anybody tried this? Does anyone know the cost of the #70 foot?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM

What a great idea. I don't have a bernina but I'll bet they make those feet for singers.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Interesting idea! I use a very narrow binding so I don't know how the stitch would look on the front of the quilt - I don't care for sewing from the back. I am a weirdo that loves hand sewing binding though ;-)
I would think that foot might be in the $30 range?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the information!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM

I have seen this demonstrated. It would take lots of practice to get nice corners. You also need to keep in mind you are only getting a single layer of fabric on the outside edge of the quilt as opposed to a double layer of fabric with traditional binding. It would be useful if you were doing a lot of craft applications. But I'll stick with traditional methods for quilts.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I have seen this demonstrated. It would take lots of practice to get nice corners. You also need to keep in mind you are only getting a single layer of fabric on the outside edge of the quilt as opposed to a double layer of fabric with traditional binding.
The binding in the method described above uses a traditionally made binding so you do have a double layer of fabric in the binding. There are quite a few modern quilters that use a method of machine sewing a binding on that is just a single layer of fabric. Basically it is bias tape binding and I personally do not prefer that style. All machine bindings take some practice but it is not difficult.

I have not yet tried this specific method because for the first time ever I do not have a quilt ready to bind! However, I have done machine binding quite a few times and the corners are really not that difficult as long as you go slow and use a stiletto to hold the fold down as you stitch.

I purchased the #71 foot at my LQS and it was #34.99. I live in New York, though, so it might be a little bit less in other parts of the country. I am actually trying to get a quilt finished up just so I can try this method out. First time ever that I can not wait to get to the binding!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

When I first bought my Bernina, I bought some feet that I still have never opened the package. I was so delighted when Bernina finally made 1/4" foot and that is what I have used for sewing my binding on but then I hand stitch it to the back.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 AM

This sounds terrific. I think my Janome makes a hemmin g foot which works similarly and I cant wait to go home and rry it!