Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina Generic Bobbins for 440 QE

Bernina Generic Bobbins for 440 QE

Hi,

Has anyone used the generic bobbins for their Bernina 440QE? Any difference or issues that you noticed?

Thanks
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 440QE and I'd like to know the answer to this question. I'll be sure to follow this thread.

Banned
    I heard a rapairman talk about this. He happened to work on Berninas. I believe the advice goes to all the machine brands. He said don't settle for the generic bobbins as they are not always accurate. Said even a slight difference can work against you. He said to take the generic bobbin and let it roll over a smooth surface. See if it rolls straight.
    Specific bobbins are tooled for the mechanism of the specific machine. Generics are "one size fits all".
    I know they are less expensive than the brand bobbins but to me not worth the frustration they may cause. Better to have fewer and less worries.

If by "generic" you mean not bought from Bernina, then I use them all the time on my 440QE, no problems at all. They are good quality though. I bought a batch of 100 so there was a big savings.

I've used them alot with no problems. Same machine the 440QE. Bought them on ebay.

I've used the generic bobbins with my Bernina 430...has the same bobbin type as the 440. No problems with them.

I had to return the ones I bought on ebay for both of my bernina's. They were too fat to fit right. I did find some that work great at hancock fabrics here in town. I can't remember the anme of the brand they have for generics, but they have always worked for every machine I have bought them for. An older 1956 Singer, a newer memory craft janome and two different models of berninas were the machines. (A 190E and a 440QE)
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-26-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

My thoughts on using non-Bernina bobbins is that it's not worth the risk. My machine cost a lot of money and I don't want to chance messing it up with a non-Bernina accessory. I buy my bobbins at my LQS-Bernina Dealer in lots of 10 at a time.