Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... >

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Janstar
Congrats BK! Have a ball! I'm a Viking person and have no comlpaints. I just wish someone could invent a forever bobbin! LOL
me too!! :lol: :lol:
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 PM

A good question to ask is 1/are the parts metal or plastic? 2/ are the replacement parts all seperate or do I have to purchase a unit to replace something? (Bernina vs Baby Lock gave me that answer..the Baby Lock, you have to replace the entire unit) The Bernina is metal parts, and you only replace the one thing, if a repair is needed. I LOVE my Bernina....have had it 2 years, have put MANY MANY MANY miles on it, and it has been wonderful. Proior to it, I had a SINGER and had a lot of problems with that. So, for what its worth, I really do love my Bernina..I have the Artista 630, and it does a lot of things ever so easily..ask about classes for the new machine, you wanta be sure and go to the classes to learn how to do all the things on your new machine. Ask about warranty, and ask where the repairs are done (in the shop, do they have an on-site repairman?_
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 AM

I have the same Janome and I can tell you you will have many many hours of enjoyable sewing. Enjoy all the great features. Try different stitches. Some are great for quilting, like SID but with a different stitch. I even attached a binding with one of the fancy stitches. Be sure to try sewing on a button, you will never hand sew on a button again. HAVE FUN!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:07 AM

Yesterday I went to the "local" Janome dealer (an hour away) to look at Jems. I have a Bernina, which I love - but for monthly guild sew-ins, classes or retreats, I wanted something smaller and lighter. Research lead me to look at Jems.

The dealer doesn't even carry the Gold Jem, only Platinum. That's a lot more expensive, and as I don't want this as a primary machine, I'm not interested in the features the Platinum has over the Gold. So next week I'm going to go look at the Bernette at the Bernina dealer. They haven't been around as long as the Jems, so not as many reviews.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Yesterday I went to the "local" Janome dealer (an hour away) to look at Jems. I have a Bernina, which I love - but for monthly guild sew-ins, classes or retreats, I wanted something smaller and lighter. Research lead me to look at Jems.

The dealer doesn't even carry the Gold Jem, only Platinum. That's a lot more expensive, and as I don't want this as a primary machine, I'm not interested in the features the Platinum has over the Gold. So next week I'm going to go look at the Bernette at the Bernina dealer. They haven't been around as long as the Jems, so not as many reviews.
Can't he order one? I have one for taking to classes and Tues. to church with friends. It's perfect for this and a great machine.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 AM

I have an older Bernette , bought around 1986 and it is still working just like the day I got it. This little surger just won't stop. My only problem is that as I have gotten older and developed rheumatoid arthritis my fingers have enlarged and it is harder for me to thread it. But I just take my time and I get it dome. I really enjoy this little machine. glenda in texas
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 AM

I have an older Bernette , bought around 1986 and it is still working just like the day I got it. This little surger just won't stop. My only problem is that as I have gotten older and developed rheumatoid arthritis my fingers have enlarged and it is harder for me to thread it. But I just take my time and I get it dome. I really enjoy this little machine. glenda in texas
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Hi there, How are you doing with the Janome?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM

I have a Bernina Artista 630 that is about 2 years old and I truly love it.....it is so much better than the Singer that I had before it. One of the things you need is ask is "are the parts made of metal or plastic? what about the feet?( metal is what you want!)Also ask about replacing parts that might break or wear out..the Bernina has metal parts, and you only replace the ONE part that needs it..the BabyLock I looked at had to have whole sections replaced if something broke. I havent done any embroidery work yet either, but I do intend to..I just havent had time to retake the class on how-to-do-it. I have put a lot of miles on this machine since I got it, and it is wonderful..I haven't had any problems at all. Also, the shop owner I got it from is nice as can be. Her hubby is the guy who does the work on the machines and he is nice too.Oh - the BSR is something I was interested in..the Bernina Stitch Regulator...when you do free hand quilting, it helps you keep the stitches even, as you move around on the quilt.Makes stipple so much easier to do. Good luck on whichever you decide on. Has anyone looked at what Consumers Digest or any of those magazines say is the best record on them?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Whatever you do, Wait!!

rumor has it that Janome is releasing a brand new 6600 with a free arm and better features :)