Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best basting method >

best basting method

best basting method

Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 AM

Before I got my frame, I used to thumbtack the backing to a wall, spray baste the majority of the batting and the top to it, and then take it down and do the remaining edges on a card table.

Not ideal, but it worked.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 AM

Like NANNA-UP-NORTH I lay my quilt out on the bed. Like she said, there is enough texture to be able to really smooth it out. I dilute Elmer's washable glue until it will come through a spray bottle and have had excellent results!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 AM

I had a little tuck on the back of my quilt and someone asked me if I had ironed it after I spray basted it. Oops, I had on the front but not on the back. I didn't know that I should but I sure will the next time.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM

All I use is my fold down table from Joanns. It is only 36 in wide so have to move the quilt twice.
I start with the middle then move to each side. Also use the plastic slide on clips from Quilt In A Day to hold the quilt onto the table. Works fine and no problems.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

There was a good YouTube video posted a couple of weeks ago but can't locate it. Sorry
Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 AM

If your machine has a walking foot feature, try using it to quilt in a straight line to see if that helps. It may be that your feed dogs are causing tucks. Can you adjust the feed dogs? They should ideally be down so they don't pull the fabric through unevenly. If you can't put them down, try taping a card over them and see if that helps, just cut out a hole for your needle.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by SusanErler View Post
Before I got my frame, I used to thumbtack the backing to a wall, spray baste the majority of the batting and the top to it, and then take it down and do the remaining edges on a card table.
I used to use my wall to baste, too, except I still used pins and not spray glue. It actually works pretty well!

I still am experimenting and trying to find my favorite method; I do each quilt differently. Floor worked for awhile but we've recently rearranged furniture so that's not going to work anymore!

I saw a great technique I'm going to try on my next large quilt. Leah Day showed this at the end of one of her Craftsy classes. She takes 1" wide elastic and cuts it into lengths; folds the length in half and loops it around folding table legs - she sets up two folding tables side-by-side to make a big square. She then pins the elastic to the edges of the backing so it's pulled tight. Then smooth over the batting, then the top. Baste everything on top of the table then adjust the straps to finish any edges. Looks really easy...but we'll see!

I also just found out that a local sewing store opens up their classroom space to quilters to use to baste quilts. Just no spray basting, and you have to call ahead to make sure the space isn't already in use. They have tons of tables that can be scootched together to make a huge basting space. I'm going to have to try that, too.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM

I use the floor also and I put my backing down and duck tape it on the four corners and in the center of each side the lay my batting. fold it back spray and then put my top on fold back half way and spray. By taping the backing down it keeps it smooth.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 AM

I use the dining room table, I center the layers, roll the sides and tape them to the edge of the table and when I am done basting the center, I move the quilt to one side again rolling the sides and then the other, it works great for me no tucks, no wrinkles
Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Do you iron where you glue baste? I think you're supposed to iron (press) after you glue baste.