Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best batt for tying a quilt >
  • Best batt for tying a quilt

• Best batt for tying a quilt

Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Best batt for tying a quilt

My church group has asked me for help in purchasing batting for charity quilts. The quilts are tied and I think they used left-over yarn. Is is easier to pull yarn through cotton or polyester batting?
    Old 06-03-2015, 10:08 AM

I use a 5 oz poly batting for this. A lot depends on the mfg too. Some are too stiff, others are soft and nice. So I feel the bat first.
    Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM

To me, there are several factors that go into the batting decision, and they involve the charity quilt itself. Is it going overseas? Is it for children? Do the quilts go to people who are inexperienced in caring for them? How wide is the quilt? The group's budget is also a factor.
    Old 06-03-2015, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

Check the quilting requirements on the batt. Some batts need closer quilting then others. Since they are tying, I would look for a batt that only requires quilting every 10 inches or so. I like to tie every 4 inches so that batt will be more stable and hold up better in my opinion.
    Old 06-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Polyester batting works best for tying. Most people use the medium weight. There's basically thick (18 oz or 9 oz), medium (12 oz or 6 oz) and thin (8 oz or 4 oz) polyester batting. The way they name it is if you cut off a yard and weigh it, how much it weighs. So if the batting is 96" wide, and 1 yard weighs 12 oz., it's a 12 oz batting, which is a medium weight. The same thickness in 48" wide would be a 6 oz batting. The extra wide 120" batting comes in a medium weight, and is named 15 oz batting.

A great way to mark quilts for tying is to use the Cambridge Marking System. It's like an interfacing with circles cut out, in a grid. You lay it on top of the quilt and mark the spots with a chalk pencil or pin or whatever will wash out.
    Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 PM

At the Mennonite Quilt Center in Reedley CA a group of local ladies come together every Monday to tie comforters . Comforters is what they called the ones that are tied and quilts the ones that were hand quilted. They usually used 12oz Hobbs poly.
    Buying for a group it is less expensive to buy by the roll...I would wait until JoAnn's has a 50% discount. They would tie in each corner of a 5" block and if a block was bigger they will tie also in the center of the block...any way just so the the ties are not too far apart. They only use crochet thread.
    Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

When I ties a few quilts a long time ago, I used Polyester batting. Not sure how doable using yarn will be for tying.
    Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 AM

The ones I tied, I used DMC embroidery thread, and I always use the cotton or the 80/20 batting. Wanting to try some polyester batting just to see.