Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Batting >

Best Batting

Best Batting

Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 AM

I just made a quilt with a wool batting. I've heard it's very warm. Flannel backing too, so I haven't put it on the bed yet! I am prepared for winter sleeping & polar vortexes! I have one on my bed now made with a Hobbs Poly Down & last winter layered it with another quilt because it wasn't warm enough by itself.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 AM

quilters dream and Hobbs both have nice battings that I like
Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Pile the quilts on... that's what grandma used to do!

I recently switched to 80/20 batting just because it has a tad more loft than 100% cotton, and is less heavy. I like it alot.
Yep, that's what I remember, as well. Multiple layers of quilts and blankets! Cotton batting is made to be breathable, which helps keep a person from getting over-heated.

I also like to sleep with a ceiling fan, regardless of the temp. What I do, is use a lightweight blanket (poly or acrylic, not sure which the present blanket is), underneath the cotton quilt. If you want a warmer quilt without the bulk of a poly fill, you could also use a blanket or poly-fleece, as your batting.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned

I use Pellon 80/20 batting I get online from Walmart.com. A big bolt of it(96"x9yds) costs less than a package of Hobbs and I can't tell the difference. When I want a really warm or heavy quilt I double it.

Cari
Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I am amazed that you think Warm and Natural batting is lightweight! My brother was just complaining to me yesterday that a quilt we made for him with this batting is too heavy.

You might like Hobbs or Quilter's Dream wool. It's light enough that you could use two layers of it. A little pricey, but everyone who uses wool batting seems to love it. Wool and cotton both "breathe", so I'm not sure you would sweat under it. Polyester doesn't breathe, so that would be more likely to allow sweating.

For lots of weight you can use denim, but it won't add much warmth.

Is there some reason why you like to have the ceiling fan on when the room is cool? I guess I would just turn the ceiling fan off unless my husband objected.

Do you have to have the ceiling fan on at night?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I am amazed that you think Warm and Natural batting is lightweight! Wool and cotton both "breathe", so I'm not sure you would sweat under it. Is there some reason why you like to have the ceiling fan on when the room is cool?
Do you have to have the ceiling fan on at night?
Prism, I like the lightweight of the quilt I just want it warm! When I said I want to "sweat" under it, it was rhetorical but you know what I mean....I want WARMTH from my quilt. Hubby and I love for our room to be cool, so yes, we have the fan on all the time; even in the winter it's on low. Love a WARM bed tho!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 AM

Quilters Dream makes a poly batting from green plastic bottles. I really like working with it. I buy it from fabric.com . It cost $29.98 for King size. There is enough batting for 2 regular size quilts. Some quilters won't use poly batting because it is too warm. I like it because it won't shrink, and I pre-wash all my material so it won't shrink either.

Originally Posted by mscupid804 View Post
Ladies, I would like to know what you use for batting and if anyone has any suggestions for me. I have always used Warm & Natural but recently have found out from a quit I made that my ceiling fan air penetrates the quilt and I can feel the air. I love the fact that the quilt is lightweight, but it just isn't as warm as I would like it. I want a batting that will make me sweat under the covers like our grandma's used to make. Is there such a batting? Suggestions wanted/needed....HELP!....Teresa
Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 AM

BTW, Quilters Dream is in Va Beach and that's only 45 mins from me! I will have to definitely go there and check them out. Thanks ladies!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM

I always use Quilter's Dream. My LQS recommends it and I love the way it makes a quilt feel.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:14 PM

I to use Quilters Dream that is a great batting, i have doubled Warm and Natural and a Poly batting for a nice warm quilt. feels more like a comforter.