Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Battingfor Tablerunner

Denman Island, BC Canada
    I use Thermore as well.

Quote Originally Posted by craftyone27
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I like warm and natural or warm and white ... Just pre-shrink it ! I like my runners to look the same as the day I finished them.
    Not a fan of thicker battings for the tipping issue . The flatter battings will allow for a glass to rest on it without rocking.
    How do you usually preshrink it? Just run through the machine? Seems that would be a bit rough even on the gentle cycle.
    I soak the batting for at least an hour ( to really saturate all the fibers) then spin , then put in the dryer on cotton. Warm and Natural or Warm and white holds up remarkably well prior to quilt construction . It is one of the reasons I like to use it.
    If I am in a hurry I have put it in to soak for 15 minutes and then run the gentle cycle for about 1-2 minutes just to help the saturation. I used to soak in the sink or tub and noticed that after 15 minutes not all the fibers had taken on water ( there were still area lighter in color indicating they had not soaked up water).

SW Iowa
    I use warm and natural in mine. That seems to work best.

I wash warm and natural on gentle and dry in dryer on lower heat with no problem. I also use in placemats and runners with no problem.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Newfoundland, Canada
    I use a low-loft batting. It decreases the "tippiness" factor of items you may put on the runner. Also I like to roll my runners for storage and the low loft batting makes a nice compact roll.

For table runners and placemats I use either prewashed flannel or thick muslin. It makes them light and I don't get tippy glasses. I know. I'm an odd duck.

New Mexico
    Just finished my second table runner for the new island in my kitchen. Used left over fusible fleece. Don't want a lot of loft. Too tippy. Quilting still showed as much as I wanted it to. When the fleese is gone I have some mystery fab I will use for batting. Think it may be sweatshirt material.

So much fun to make. Did use a pattern. Just determined the size and away I went. One has two rows of large flying geese with no center. Just two rows of geese.

The other has a center bordered by half squ triangles.

Now have to make one for Christmas. Whoopee! Get to shop my stash!!

Keene, New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    I use thermore type battings/interfacing

me too. gotten very expensive though and Joann's doesn't carry, so may switch to flannel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2