Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best beginner machine???? >

Best beginner machine????

Best beginner machine????

Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Kenmores were made by different companies over the years. The first three numbers of the model xxx.xxxxx indicate who the manufacturer was.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Don't forget to check out Juki sewing machines. I love both of mine and I think you get more machine for less money than with some of the other brands.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM

PaperPrincess and Onebyone have given you great advice. Personally, I love my computerized Viking. It's over 10 yrs old and have never had a day's worth of trouble with it. It was not totally top of the line at the time but pretty close. I paid $1200 at the time. I did not go with the more expensive models because it did things I had not intention/desire (and still don't) to do. The model I opted for did everything I wanted/needed.

I am a spreadsheet queen. I made a spreadsheet with all the features that I wanted/needed and labeled them as such. I then let Mr. Googe guide me to various manufacturer's/models that included those features. You will have a tough time getting true local prices online. But once you have your make/model list narrowed down, definitely visit some dealers and do some test driving with your own fabrics and quilt sandwich samples if you plan to machine quilt.

Definitely keep your existing machine as a back up. There are plenty of folks here to help you if you have issues with that one.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:50 PM

I am a Babylock person - all my machines are Babylock. I have a dealer close so it is easy to take a machine in for service. Take your own fabric samples to sew on to test out the machines and the decorative stitches that come on that machine. Mark each sample with the name of the machine and make some notes about the machines that you liked. I like the drop in bobbin feature and thread cutting feature on my machine. Also ask about specials, such as models that have been demo machines in the store or at a recent event. Sometimes you can get a better deal on a machine and the money you have to spend will go farther.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:07 PM

I was going to suggest a Brother "beginner" machine for around $100+, and I will still suggest that for a light weight traveling machine, but you are looking for higher end than that.

Even so, take a look at Brother machines. Mine are all good machines, and I buy the low end machines. So far, only one has failed me, and it failed after taking a tumble from the back of the car to the ground. Not the machines fault.

Brother manuals are well written, and cover the sewing basics as well as advanced stuff. They have customer support line availability, as well.

In the end, though, you and only you can decide what is best for you. Happy hunting!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:11 PM

A thread cutter is an absolutely divine feature on a sewing machine. I don't know how I sewed without it! Consider throat size if you plan to use your new machine to machine quilt, as well.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:42 PM

I paid $329 for my Janome Magnolia 7330 back in 2009 & I really like it. I have a Singer TouchTronic that I used before the Janome. There are features that I like on my Singer & features that I like on my Janome. My Singer has a bobbin warning light that lets you know you are getting close to running out of bobbin thread & I dearly love that feature. My Janome has a needle down feature that is a fantastic feature. I also like the fact that it has a speed control so you can increase or decrease your speed depending on what you are sewing. I think the only thing I wish the Janome had was more decorative stitches. It doesn't even have the simple serpentine stitch.

I definitely agree that you should not let the sales person know how much you are willing to spend. They work off commission & will try to sell you something up to your limit. You may not need to spend that much depending on the features you want/need. Also, make sure you are close to the place where you bought it so you can go for lessons (if offered) & repair. Keep your old machine. When one machine is in the shop for repair/cleaning you will still have something to sew on.

Good luck & have fun in buying your machine. Don't feel pressured to buy the day you go look. The machine will still be there the next day.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:51 PM

I agree with the others. Go to a couple dealers before making a decision. It is better if you live close to one - even better. You can get nice deals on the internet, but they don't have classes. My Viking dealer gives one on one classes for as long as you need them. My Janome dealer has set classes that you can attend and a club you can join for a year. My Janome dealer will allow you to upgrade within 6 months for full value if you have the box. My Viking dealer offered me a full year. My Viking is an embroidery/sewing machine and I bought the floor model with the full warranty and saved about $1,000.00 with all the extras he included.

I had VERY basic machines before and wanted the larger throat for quilting. When the LQS that is also a Janome dealer put them on sale I decided it was time. I am afraid I have very little sales resistance but was thrilled with my purchase. Mine is the Janome MC 6600P. It came with a table it sits in and it has the attachable table if I take it somewhere.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:28 PM

There are so many nice machines on the market. The janome skyline, the juki QVP2000, and the brother q-series(or babylock) equivalents come to mine for your price range. The babylock jazz seems nice if you don't want computerized but want some great features. I also like viking but don't know what models are in your price range. Most of the models I have mentioned I know are getting good reviews. I have been loyal to my brand so I tend to stick with my brothers or brother made babylocks as they have been reliable to me
Old 10-07-2016, 04:58 AM

I was asked this question just recently by a new sewer wanting to know my advice. I told her that I love my Janome but, if my Juki died I would replace it the same day. I have to 2010Q which is a basic machine but not an all over machine. What I especially love about it is the knee lever and the cutter in the foot. I sent her to look at the smaller Juki's and if she didn't like them go to the Janome dealer.