Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Beginning Quilting Magazine >

Best Beginning Quilting Magazine

Best Beginning Quilting Magazine

Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Best Beginning Quilting Magazine

Hello Everyone, I am very new to the board and I am working on my second quilt. I notice that there are a lot of quilting magazines available, but I would like to subscribe to one that is for beginners. Does anyone know of one that starts out really basic? I am still trying to get the basics down such as cutting and piecing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I recently bought book one of the Quilter's Academy and will work on it after I finish up my present quilt. Thanks, Michelle
Old 11-01-2013, 01:42 PM

Try your local library, both for books on quilting that will allow you to get started and to look at periodicals you might wish to purchase or subscribe to. It's an easy, free way to figure out what suits your needs best.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quilting Quickly and Fons & Porter Love of Quilting are the two that I really like. However, check them out and buy one on the newstand before you buy a subscription so that you can see if they fit your needs. In the magazines, you get access to many online resources using a code from the magazines. I have only been quilting for 3 years and they have been very helpful. The other place is the Missouri Star Quilt website with great tutorial videos that have helped me a lot.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

The Missouri Star Quilt co. Youtube videos are easy to follow. The patterns are also printed into her Quilting Quickly magazine if you prefer a written copy I believe.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the others who have said to check out magazines from the library, or buy a single copy, before subscribing. One magazine that I have loved from the time I started quilting is Quilters Newsletter Magazine, but it is not a good choice if you want lots of patterns or instruction. I do not care for Fons and Porter, but there are many who like it. I do like McCalls, but my favorites are QNM and the AQS magazine.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:03 PM

When I began quilting several years ago, I got a lot of books from the library to learn the basics and then went on to more challenging projects. Last year I pieced the blocks for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and learned so much more from doing those. Still have to finish putting the top together but other projects needed preference. Each time I go to the library or a different branch I check out the quilting section. I never know, they might have purchased another book of interest to me. LOL
Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 PM

You could also check the website for a magazine, such as Fons & Porter or McCall's Quilting. They show the quilts in each issue and even have some free patterns and tips on their websites.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM

I like McCall's Quick Quilts, buy one and see if you like it. It is a favorite of mine.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by patsynel View Post
I like McCall's Quick Quilts, buy one and see if you like it. It is a favorite of mine.
Mine too... it's the only magazine I still subscribe too. I love quick projects.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:56 AM

Quilty is my new favorite magazine