Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best book for getting started with appliqué?

I'm very interested in trying to do a wall hanging of my cat. Having discovered the wonder of having quilting books, I would like to support those who write them and get a book to walk me through it. Des anyone have a suggestion for a good book, preferably one I can get on Amazon?

Blog Entries
    I will also follow this thread

Elenore Burns Applique In A Day. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Quilt...owViewpoints=1

She also has free videos of her shows on her site that show her technique.

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find it at Keepsake as long as I'm up in NH.

Blog Entries
    I would recommend "Applique, the basics and beyond" by Janet Pittman. The thing I like about this book is that it's not one technique. She covers many techniques for both machine and hand applique. You can try several and use the one that you like best.
    http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Basic...4500548&sr=1-1

I like books by Carol Armstrong, Susan Taylor Propst, Bea Oglesby just to name a few authors for patterns
    2 of my favorite books for technique are:

Applique the Basics and Beyond: The Complete Guide to Successful Machine and Hand Techniques with Dozens of Designs to Mix and Match

Applique Workshop: Mix and Match 10 Techniques to Unlock Your Creativity

This one by sue nickels is also good:
    Machine Applique: A Sampler of Techniques

I think Alex Anderson, Simply Quilts, has a book for beginning applique for hand and machine.

Blog Entries
    I love my book "Applique the Basics and Beyond" by Janet Pittman. She did an excellent job combining the photos with the written instructions. There are projects with complete instructions and patterns. When she refers to a technique elsewhere in the book she gives the page numbers so it is easy to find. The instructions are given for both machine and hand applique. It earned an Independent Publisher Book Award. I hope this helps. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical
    I love my book "Applique the Basics and Beyond" by Janet Pittman. She did an excellent job combining the photos with the written instructions. There are projects with complete instructions and patterns. When she refers to a technique elsewhere in the book she gives the page numbers so it is easy to find. The instructions are given for both machine and hand applique. It earned an Independent Publisher Book Award. I hope this helps. :)
    It appears as though I need to speed up my typing because this is the second time in less than 30 minutes I have posted the same answer as another quilter. lol