Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best cutting mat & where to buy? >

Best cutting mat & where to buy?

Best cutting mat & where to buy?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Best cutting mat & where to buy?

I am in the market for a new self-healing cutting mat, probably 24" by 36". Of course, cost is an issue. My questions:

1. What brand do you recommend?

2. What company do you recommend for purchase?

3. Is it really better to buy self-healing?

Thanks for the benefit of your experience! :-)
Old 05-07-2014, 08:44 AM

I have a Olaf I bought years ago and have never had a problem with it. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby I don't remember what I payed for it. They sell them at Walmart also for a good price.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I think Crafty may have meant Olfa cutting mat. I swear by the Olfa myself. Wait until you can get a 50% off coupon at JoAnnes or Hobby Lobby and get it then. I have the 24 x 36 size and when I checked walmart on line, I did not see them offering that size.

I did have a fiskars one but it didn't seem to last as long and some of the other brands seem to dull the rotary blades prematurely. so I stick with Olfa which has never caused me problems, other than the horrible smell when they are brand new. That goes away after a few days/weeks.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 AM

I have 2 Olfa mats. Both are about 25 years old and still going strong. I can't say the best place to buy - one was from Joann's when they were having a terrific sale. The other one I got in a starter quilting kit. I was told they last longer if you soak them in water from time to time. I did one, because it fit in the sink, I don't have a big enough place for the other one. I do have a white mat - believe it is from Dritz, not sure. A friend bought it because she uses her kitchen table, it was large, a great price, however storage was a problem for her so gave it to me.

You definitely want a self-healing mat, your blades last a LOT longer with them.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

i just love my 3 olfa's!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM

I have two Olfas, both 12x18 -- one is blue, the other is purple. I have an 18x24 Fiskars that is yellow on one side and lavendar on the other side. And I have another Olfa that is blue and 24x36 that stays on my cutting table. I also have a blue 6x9, two of the cutting/pressing combinations (one large, one small), and one 8x8 rotating cutting mat. What can I say -- I'm a gadget junkie.

Definitely get a self-healing mat. As quiltingcandy said, it is easier on the blades, and your mat will last longer.

You can look at art supply sites, which also carry self-healing mats. Sometimes they are cheaper than buying from a quilting site.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I was in Tuesday Mornings yesterday and there were two sizes of very high quality self healing cutting mats, the kind used by draftsman and crafters who use the blade knife. The largest was $15. I have over a dozen mats, some never used and just did not need one! At that price you could buy two to make one giant one. Great buy.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM

I have 2 Olfa mats and am very happy with them. The last one I bought was a big one (36x48?) and Amazon had the best price at that time--about $45 if I recall right. I just store them flat under my sofa on the floor as I don't have a dedicated cutting table.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Olfa mats are my favorite. Wait for a sale at JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts and buy it then. Or print a 40% coupon off Hobby Lobby's website and purchase it there (provided there's one where you live).

As for size, I recommend getting the largest one your table top can accommodate and that you can afford.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Mine are all Fiskars other than my rotating one, which is brand new (so not used yet) and it's a martelli. I would definitely avoid dritz. I had one of those and it was terrible.