Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best needle for machine quilting?

Size of needle is dependent on thickness of thread, usually breaking is from moving the sandwich too fast, but i would use quilting or topstiching needles, and supposedly titanium needles last longer but I haven't tried

Great tip for the "eyelashes", LivelyLady... Thanks, I'll try it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    That's what I always use, too. I also switch to the single hold needle plate which prevented "eyelashes" on the backing.
    The single hole needle plates are great, but be sure to swap it before you try to use a different stitch! My needle is now a bit off center because I forgot. Even after being serviced it isn't as perfectly centered as it used to be.

I have gone to titanium needles made by Organ for Superior Thread. I purchase them through the Connecting Threads catalog. I think they do a good job and last longer. But everyone needs to find what works in their machine. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    The single hole needle plates are great, but be sure to swap it before you try to use a different stitch! My needle is now a bit off center because I forgot. Even after being serviced it isn't as perfectly centered as it used to be.
    On one of my machines needle is off center quite a bit as well so I use it for quilting only. I am using "the well centered" machine for piecing. It just about killed me when this happened. Cannot be fixed! Darn!

I use a 14-90 spring needle, no foot.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    I have gone to titanium needles made by Organ for Superior Thread. I purchase them through the Connecting Threads catalog.
    Luana,
    I appreciate this tip! Have been seriously considering Organ needles, but didn't want to make the trip in to the only shop where I can buy them. Connecting Threads and I, on the other hand, are fast friends and with them I only have to go as far as the mail box!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2