Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best place to buy fabrics >

Best place to buy fabrics

Best place to buy fabrics

Old 09-22-2016, 02:07 PM

I like thousands of bolts, marshalls dry goods, fabric.com and I have gotten some nice stuff from Amazon and ebay
Old 09-22-2016, 03:51 PM

Do you have Mardens in your area of Maine? I was in Portland on a business trip and had been told to check out Mardens. Lots of great fabric at $4.99/yd.

Originally Posted by Bernita View Post
Forgot to add, Im in Southern Maine and there are craft shows here year round. A few festivals, 4H fairs too that are big with crafters as well.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
A friend is a died in the wool thrift store fabric shopper as well as craigslist and freecycle. She's gotten a boatload of LQS quality fabric for dirt cheap. If you don't care about the 'latest & greatest' fabric designs, it's certainly a very affordable option as well.
This could be written about me. The lesser quality fabrics I get are used for dog beds and such, or passed on to a friend who makes fabric baskets who like thinner fabric for them.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:05 AM

I support my local quilt shop as much as I can. I like to look and feel the fabric. My personal experience has been that the local quilt shops usually have a little better fabric than Joann's but I have shop Joann's. I want to keep the local quilt shops open because the people who work there will always help you and I need help. I have ordered on line from EQuilters and Hancock and it been fine.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie R View Post
Do you have Mardens in your area of Maine? I was in Portland on a business trip and had been told to check out Mardens. Lots of great fabric at $4.99/yd.
Yes, we do actually and had not thought at all about them selling fabrics. Thanks! Looks like I will make some rounds to Mardens, Marshalls, Wally, and a few LQS nearby. Will be a busy Sat it seems
Old 09-23-2016, 06:30 PM

One more thing to add. Has anyone ever gone to their local Goodwill and browsed the "HOME" section? Ive been to two local Goodwills and have come across some old bedding sheets. The ones I purchased were 100% cotton sheets, mostly kings, and only $3 or $4 each. Im guessing, not exactly sure, but there has to be at least 2 or 3 yards of fabric for each. I got a few plain solids, and a few patterns that will at least make good quilt backs. I looked them over best i could in store, noticed a few minor stain spots, nothing I cant cut around.

Is this good fabric to keep an eye out for? Or are recycled bedding fabrics not supposed to be used in quilting? I can always return them within a week but I figured it was a good chunk of fabric for only a few bucks, might as well grab it before someone else does.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM

I would try Hancock's of Paducah and Missouri Star Quilt Co if you need at least one yard of something or precuts. Sign up for their emails. Another option would be to make smaller items such as bags or miniature quilts, requiring less fabric.
Try designing your own patterns & rulers as an additional cost saver - possibly you could eventually sell them also.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Bernita, I have a friend that uses old or new sheets from a goodwill or similar stores. A king is a great size for making and backing a king or less quilt. It's your quilt, use what you like and want.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 AM

If you hand quilt the closeness of stitches in sheets can be a problem but they are great for machine quilting. I have some old sheets that I am going to cut up to make pillow forms and then stuff them with poly fill. Quite a savings over buying ready made pillow forms. Congratulations on a great buy.