Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Place in the Country for Quilting? >

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I have lived in a lot of states. Born in Pennsylvania, lived for years near Cleveland, Ohio, Buffalo NY, Syracuse NY, Riverside CA, Sacramento CA, Reno NV, Chattanooga TN and now Charleston SC. I like /Charleston the best by far.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:31 PM

Hey Y'all, for a place with nice, stable climate, no drought, or hurricanes, consider Sitka, Alaska. Our temps are mild and there is very little temp variation within the seasons. Get a taste of island living!QUOTE]
Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Check the locations of some of our posters. You many find a lot in one place.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks to the DH's military career, we've lived in a lot of states in many different areas or the country--sometimes kind of rural and sometimes citified. We retired to Reno because of its climate, but mostly because of its atmosphere. Any place you choose should have an atmosphere that shouts HOME. It's different for everyone. What besides climate makes you feel at home? Everywhere we were stationed there were quilters; maybe not so many shops, back then most of us depended on catalogues for craft supplies. And almost everywhere there is some kind of sewing store not too far away. Today the internet is a blessing for learning and shopping. As long as you feel "at home." the quilting always seems to be there.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
Just remember, Debra, "Ever since the day you were born, you have been making an 'old' person." Sorry that you don't like old people. I can't stand screaming kids. Why do they have to scream to get attention and why do they need to have so much attention in today's world. It seems as if they have to be noticed and think they are the most important "thing" in the world. They MUST be seen and heard. This is my pet peeve and since I am old, I just LOVE old people and I love being OLD. lol and ha ha ha! Please don't get angry at me for saying this "stuff."
not angry at all.
Screaming kids are quite a distraction, but more times than not, when I see one, i watch for a minute, and
usually I perceive parenting to be the biggest part of the kids problem.
If people had to go to classes or be licensed to become parents, we'd see a big change in the kids!
I love old ppl too. I am becoming one, lol
(I know what she meant though.)
Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I already live in the best place in the country for quilting, but you've ruled it out because it has four beautiful seasons and a lot of rural spaces to roam. We have tons of amazing quilt shops including Keepsake Quilting and a Quilt Sampler featured shop, frequent and varied classes and programs at almost every shop, a great variety of active guilds, a statewide appreciation for crafters and artists with fairs and sales almost every week, gorgeous scenery for artistic inspiration (mountains, lakes, ocean beaches, a national forest, and fall colors beyond belief), and no sales or income taxes. New Hampshire is a quilter's paradise, no doubt about it!
hey, hey, hey...I knew as soon as you said 4 seasons and Keepsake Quilting, you were in New Hampshire.
I am a transplant from there...born there.
I have family up there and it is beautiful. They say the winters are cold and wet, but you deal with something everywhere, don't we?
me - Flor-heat-a (Florida)...unless you live near the coasts, the middle is humid, humid,
humid! but, there is always air conditioning
I think we all dream of a perfect place for our old age.
I guess mine is wherever my family is. Will never move away from my kids and my grandmouslings.