Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Place in the Country for Quilting? >

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:53 PM

I agree with OnebyOne. Charleston, SC is the place to go. I lived there for 20 years and always thought I'd live there forever. If I ever move again, I am going back to Charleston. They had great quilting classes at Fashion Fabrics in Mt. Pleasant. I met lots of good quilters there. There are two wonderful quilting stores in Summerville, near Charleston.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I concur with the Dallas or Houston Texas areas. The first shop hops started in Dallas. The biggest International show began in Houston. Both have good weather; cheaper housing; better grocery costs with most fresh fruits and veggies grown in state; easy access out of town with Love Field Airport (Southwest Airlines), DFW International Airport and Houston's international airport; dozens of quilt shops; United Notions (Moda!); many, many nationally known quilt instructors and originators; and guilds and their shows galore!

Gee darn, I've near 'bout talked myself into moving back there!

Jan in VA
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM

I like it right where I'm at -- we do sometimes have bad weather in the winter but I just stay home and sew or read. I like to travel a little bit but am always more than ready to be back home! Hope you find a good place to retire. You will love whatever you do.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 PM

I really like all the wonderful things quilt-related in Houston. But I can't stand how long it takes to get anywhere. Also it gets way too hot for me. My daughter lives in the Denver area and the weather is pretty nice year-round (lots of sun!) and there are a lot of quilty happenings around the Denver area.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM

I have spent many winters now in Texas. They are big time quilters and have great shops. I usually go to a few cities such as: Corpus Christi, San Antonio and the Rio Grande valley. It is really warm in the winter in the Rio Grande Valley and they have many RV parks with way too many activities for social people where you can buy your own trailer with Texas room etc. The Rio Grande Valley has a huge quilt guild that should satisfy your longings there but many campgrounds meet each week for quilting. They also have the best oranges in the world and fresh vegetables and fruit. Progresso Mexico is very close and so much fun as well as having great dentists there too. Someone on the board from Texas will be speaking up soon, I am sure. I love Texas. But I am definitely a northern girl and will remain one the rest of my life, just not for the winters.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM

California has it for climate! I am in SoCal and we are 70's and 80's a lot of the year - very little humidity....HOWEVER, if you want money to spend on quilting then you might want to reconsider this place. It is expensive = especially if you live near the beach or anywhere not in the desert. There are lots of quilting things here...shops, guilds, people galore! You will never be without someone to talk to! ha ha.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM

I'm looking at the Greenville area in SC. I was told at the MN quilt show that Taylors has a nice quilt guild. Several quilt shops in the area.

When I looked at the SC quilt guild they had their own yahoo group for members only.

I'm hoping no more MN winters !
Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I concur with the Dallas or Houston Texas areas. The first shop hops started in Dallas. The biggest International show began in Houston. Both have good weather; cheaper housing; better grocery costs with most fresh fruits and veggies grown in state; easy access out of town with Love Field Airport (Southwest Airlines), DFW International Airport and Houston's international airport; dozens of quilt shops; United Notions (Moda!); many, many nationally known quilt instructors and originators; and guilds and their shows galore!

Gee darn, I've near 'bout talked myself into moving back there!

Jan in VA
And no state income tax!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM

I'll second Ghostrider's vote for NH. It's beautiful in every season, some first-rate quilt shops, love of craftsmanship. There's nothing not to like, unless you're a gardener. The growing season's stunningly short - even shorter than Juneau, AK - but that adds to the challenge. All in all, tourists flock here for good reason, and a lot of the year, we have this beautiful place all to ourselves.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 PM

I'm in Houston. We're going to be retiring in a few years, but I think the farthest we'd go is a couple hours from where we are now. It's hot in the summer, but we have great A/C. I go to Quilt Festival every year. The spring, fall and winter are all pretty mild. There are lots of quilt stores in the area. And did I say I go to Quilt Festival every year? lol