Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Press Question >

Best Press Question

Best Press Question

Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM

I don't think it goes bad, Teresa, at least it hasn't up to now. I know I've kept some around for a year and it was still OK. But I use a Lot of it on charity quilts I do on the LA.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Best Press also goes further when pressing piecing by using the travel size empty hair a spray bottles from Sally's Beauty Supply. The spray is finer and more directed onto just your fabric instead of all over the ironing board.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 PM

I too dilute Best Press, but I have been mixing my own starch and putting it in a Niagra spray bottle. Works great and is a lot cheaper than Best Press -- and I can have one bottle of super and one of light (super for when I have bias).
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 AM

If you watch Hancocks or JoAnns you can get the gallon of Best Press for cheaper. My local JoAnns doesn't carry it in the store. When I am desperate I buy it at Hancocks locally with a coupon. Otherwise get it online with a 50% off coupon. I am going to check in the store today to see if they will ship to the store for pickup for free. I have 2 big quilts and the backs finished that are ready to iron and it will take most of what I have here.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 AM

The only "fragrance" that I've had spot is the Peach. I usually use Lavender and have had no problems whatsoever and have used a couple of gallons. I love Best Press. I buy it from JoAnns online when it is on sale by the gallon.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 AM

I dilute mine as well. Every penny saved is just waiting to buy fabric. LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 05:19 AM

Love the idea of diluting. And, putting it in a different mister. Does anyone have trouble with the fumes? It seems to make me cough the first time I use it.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
If you watch Hancocks or JoAnns you can get the gallon of Best Press for cheaper. My local JoAnns doesn't carry it in the store. When I am desperate I buy it at Hancocks locally with a coupon. Otherwise get it online with a 50% off coupon. I am going to check in the store today to see if they will ship to the store for pickup for free. I have 2 big quilts and the backs finished that are ready to iron and it will take most of what I have here.
The last time I ordered with a coupon from Joann's, I got free shipping with 2 gallons, right to my house. They didn't have the clear, only the blue, but it seems fine and I have seen no staining. What color is the staining? Same color as the Best Press or is it a brown color?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 AM

I have purchased bottles of air freshener at the 99 cent store, emptied them and then filled them with Best Press...
Much better misting than the spray bottle that Best Press comes in... The misting is much better than the spraying...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I guess I'm just cheap also!!! I went to a class and the well known teacher said if you take Potato Vodka, dilute it 4 to one, put it in a spray bottle it gives the same feeling as Best Press. It has to be Potato tho, that's were the starch comes from. I've been doing it for 2 years now, works like a charm and a wonderful aroma. Never had any staining problems.
Cindy, is there a particular label that is potato vodka? I am using a vodka, but don't know if it is potato or not. When I asked the guy in the store he didn't seem to understand what I was asking and looked at me like I had just sprouted horns or something. I bought the cheapest priced one that was on the shelves and the vodka that I am using is working, but would like to try the potato based one if I can find it.
Thanks,
Linda

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2018 at 05:28 AM.