Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best tutorial for quilt as you go? >

Best tutorial for quilt as you go?

Best tutorial for quilt as you go?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I believe that the gourmetquilter has quilt as you go on her youtube videos.
This is the method I use from the Gourmet Quilter: Technique #74. Works for me.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Anybody ever use the Georgia Bonesteel method. I learned this one many years ago. She had a TV show and also published several books, but I haven't heard of her for several years.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Qayg

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
While watching this video, I got the idea to make a QAG using her method, and using batting and backing instead of a foundation. This worked really well because I cut the backing at 14" x14", the batting at 13" x 13", and trim the finished block to 12" x 12". Works wonderful, and since I am working with scraps, (cut 2.5" wide) not much waste. I have been using leftover batting in them also.
http://youtu.be/iZ02NM9-USw

To join the squares, I use the method in the video below. I use 3" strips, folded in half, and when I get ready to attach the "sashing" to the next square, I use school glue to position them on one side, iron, flip it over and glue the sashing strip to the back. I stitch on both sides of the sashing so it looks even. Fun and done quick. I do them in quarters so only one really long sashing.
http://youtu.be/tWKVNQTG-74

The first one I did is below. It is diagonal sewn and straight set. The one I am working on is stright set, and will be done to look like a weave quilt. Wish me luck. I like working with a twelve inch block for these so that any "extra" blocks can be used in scrappys together. I will continue to experiment with QAG ideas because I like the fact that they are quick and everything fits. Excuse all my wrinkles, it was already boxed for shipment, when I realized I had forgot to take a picture. A quick ride in the dryer and it was fine. I even made a pillow to match using the same method, but I used shorter strips and put a border on it.
Thank you so much for posting this way, I'm getting to the point of the sashing on my current QAYG, last one I followed The Gourmet Quilters way. Your post I think will make it even easier for me. TYTYTY
Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldtisme View Post
Thank you so much for posting this way, I'm getting to the point of the sashing on my current QAYG, last one I followed The Gourmet Quilters way. Your post I think will make it even easier for me. TYTYTY
Since I have trouble sewing a straight line, this method allows me to make a pretty, and sturdy quilt, even if I do sew lines like a drunken sailor! Lol!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 PM

you tube Gourmet Quilter (How to join up Quilt as you Go blocks and borders - Quilting Tips & Techniques 074